6 year old throws tempertantrum in walmart parking lot! What should I do??

I was walking out of walmart pushing the cart and my 6 year old wanted to stand on the side of the cart for a ride. I told him no. So he threw a fit and cryed about his feet hurting, then sat down in the middle of the parking lot, mad. I said, ok then you can just sit there in the middle of the parking lot(in front of everyone). So he got up and ran in front of my cart and stopped right infront of it, purposely making me run in to him and he falls down in the parking lot screaming "you ran me over!" WHAT SHOULD I DO?! His behavior is pretty bad at home, but this drew the line!!

He is SOO good at school. His teacher is always telling me how much she loves him and wishes all of her students were like him. (!) I am a really good mom. I do things with him as much as I can. We spend a lot of time together. But I feel like he's always in trouble for not listening to me. So he gets priveliges taken away. I have 3 other younger gir

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:53 PM on Oct. 26, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would have no shame in spanking his butt. Sounds like he needs it.
    MommySwiggles

Answer by MommySwiggles at 5:56 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Teacher here: if he is super good at school and throwing fits at home...then the problem lies AT HOME. You may be the most loving caring mother in the world....but if he is acting like this there is something he is not getting at home.

Not trying to be mean, but it just makes sense. Think about it...do you stick with a firm discipline or do you give in? do you want him to like you, or be your friend?

Think about it.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 5:56 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Throw one with him & let him know thar now isn't the time for a temper melt down just wait til he gets older
    mummybear226

Answer by mummybear226 at 5:57 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Love Mommyswiggles answer!
    nsrush83

Answer by nsrush83 at 6:01 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Are his days too stimulated? My daughter would be perfect in school at that age then have a melt down at home. I give her down time when she gets home. Snacks, quiet time, let her watch a show, talk about her day, whatever. Just no running out the door to play right away. Maybe he needs some down time?
    Iluvmy5

Answer by Iluvmy5 at 6:01 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Was there any room in the cart? If my 4 yo acts up at a store, I throw her butt in the cart until she behaves. If she had done what your son did, I would have put her in the cart, gotten to my car, and immediately put her in her car seat, not giving in once to her temper. It works for my kid though, for she HATES being sustained to a shopping cart.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 10:03 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• No, there was no room in the cart, and i always use one one those 'extendacarts' too. with the seat in the front. I have 5 kids. or else, he would have delightfully been strapped down ;)
    kknJt

Answer by kknJt at 10:41 AM on Oct. 28, 2010