Do you live where it snows?

And how much snow do you usually get (3 in, 3 feet) ? What is the coldest it gets there? When/why do they call off school in your district because of weather?

donnareedonLSD

Asked by donnareedonLSD at 5:55 PM on Oct. 26, 2010 in

• oh yeah! we usuallt get a few feet a season. they call it off for very low windchills and for un-navicable roads due to excessive snowfall

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:57 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I'm in Connecticut, we get a lot of snow here. Most of the time it only snows a couple inches at a time but we do get snows storms the equal about 1-2 ft, and sometimes it piles up more than that.

During the winter it's usually in the teens-twenties, but can get below zero at night.

They call off school if we are going to get a storm or expect a lot of ice. Ice is really the biggest problem in the winter, not the snow.
    Sometimes they call off school the night before, but most of the time school closing are announced on the tv/radio early in the morning before school.

Sometimes they are wrong about the storm and we get nothing at all, and a free day off lol
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 6:00 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• last winter we got 115.6inches 90 miles south of us. We live in Watertown, NY. Up by canada and Lake Ontario. temps in the negative is the norm. They close schools if its blizzarding or extremely cold.
    ArmyWifeAshlie

Answer by ArmyWifeAshlie at 6:02 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Yep I do we can get a few inches to several feet. They call off school if the buses can't get around, the windchill is too low or they can't get the streets cleaned off early enough to start school, if the roads are too icy and it just doesn't seem like the snow is going to stop or if we are in blizzard conditions
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 6:10 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• It snows here. Some winters are more severe than others. Our school district hardly ever calls off school though.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 8:16 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Southeast Wisconsin and it snows a lot. The district doesn't usually close school until there is about 6 inches of snow. The schools have been closing more for extreme cold than snow. It has gotten to 45 below zero!!

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:03 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Some. No more than 3-4 inches a year. Thjat being said...they call off school for everything!
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 10:13 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Oh yes we do. Last year at one point we had over 8 feet all over town, the snow piles (from clearing the streets) were over 20' high, and they had more piles than usual - they were trucking snow out to fields outside of town. I think on average we get like 12' a year. It gets as cold as -30 - that's not counting the wind chill, that gets down to -50. School only gets called off if we're having a blizzard - meaning snow is blowing horizontally and you can't see the road. Needless to say it takes a lot for us to have a snow day. People here know how to drive in winter too, and most of us drive 4x4s for family vehicles.
    Anonymous

• Wow, anon, where do you live? I take you don't want us to know since you're a anon, but I guess I don't really want to know where the weather is that extreme, because I 'm sure as hell not going to move there ;) LMAO
    donnareedonLSD

Comment by donnareedonLSD (original poster) at 11:07 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Not anymore, lol! I'm in NE Texas where it rarely seems to snow.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 4:09 PM on Oct. 27, 2010