Moving forward to a more serious relationship.

I was so busy focusing on what I wanted (getting married, living together), that I didn't really give myself time to realize how big of a step it was. My boyfriend and I were talking last night, and he said that he wasn't ready yet (for those things) and I thought about it, and realized I wasn't (am not) either. When I told him I didn't think I'd be good wife material right now, he asked why, and I told him because I wasn't done with school and didn't have a career yet, and he said that was okay. But when he was talking about the reasons why he wasn't ready,they were all career related. I was just wondering why it's okay to him if I don't have my life entirely figured out, but he wants to figure his out before he moves forward?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:59 PM on Oct. 26, 2010 in Relationships

• Are *you* okay with marrying him before he reaches his career goals? It sounds like you both have similar anxieties about moving forward.

I think it's a customary and more traditional thing for the man to want to be sorted out careerwise before they have a family so that they're able to provide a stable income. Does your boyfriend want to be the breadwinner while you stay home and raise children? If you are planning for a marriage with him, that's a good conversation to have now.
    Allaye

Answer by Allaye at 6:12 PM on Oct. 26, 2010