Is it too late to pierce her ears at 9 months?

My daughter is 7 1/2 months, and we cannot peirce her ears until she is 9 months (her current daycare said she is against them for safety reasons) We are moving her in December and are looking fwd to getting her ears done. Is 9 months too old??

ZoeKatsMom

Asked by ZoeKatsMom at 8:53 AM on Oct. 30, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Wow, it's amazing how in today's time people are more exceptable about this subject. My oldest daughter back in 1987 got her done when she was 5 months old. My MIL went with me to get it done and I walked away because I didn't want to hear her cry....then in 1990 my second daugher, we decided to get it done but she was older...8 months old..I sat in the seat with her and when we had it done...she screamed...and people were starring at us....I guess back then they thought it was abuse and hated moms who did it....My third daughter got her's done when she was 2 years old....for me it seems the younger they are it's better, but the older they get they notice it more. I say get it done as soon as you can. Now...if only I could figure out a way to get my teacup chihuahua's done and she look cute too!!!
    stayhomemom22

Answer by stayhomemom22 at 10:57 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• I am not sure I understand. I do not think that is to old. My DD was 6 when she got her ears pierced. If you are okay with it then it is your choice.

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 8:58 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• No it's not too old. She will cry for a minute but then she will be fine.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 9:05 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Honestly I think it's to young. She isn't old enough to be able to take care of it for herself, and not that I'm saying you won't take care of it properly, but it's just going to be miserable for her if it gets infected or something. Not to mention the risk of ripping them out because she dosn't know better. I was 7 I think when I first got my ears pierced, because my mom made me wait until I was old enough to take care of them myself.
    LokisMama

Answer by LokisMama at 9:11 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• I completely agree with LokisMama. I was somewhere around 14 or 15 before I got my ears pierced-- I never really wanted it done until then. I hate seeing people pierce little babies' ears. I think it's unnecessary pain to make them go through just so you can "decorate" them. If I ever have a daughter, I will wait until she is old enough to ask to have it done, and then we will decide at what age I think she can take care of them herself & that's when she can do it. So, to answer your question, no, 9 months is not "too old", it's TOO YOUNG! Just my opinion.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:24 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Thats why I ask, mine were done at three months. We would have done them already, but our daycare provider has it in her contract no piercings or jewelry allowed on her children or her staff. I'd rather do it now when she wont remember the pain.. I had my left ear re-pierced multiple times because I would lose and earring and the hole would close. I remember how painfull it was..
    ZoeKatsMom

Answer by ZoeKatsMom at 9:24 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• I do not think she is too young....
    My daughters ears were pierced when she was 8 months old.
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 9:46 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• No, it's not too old. We did my daughter's ears at 2 years old.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:47 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• I just wanted to add that you should take her to a real tattoo shop with a certified piercer and not a place in the mall that pierces with guns. They have plastic parts that can't be sterilized and the blunt trauma takes longer to heal and can lead to infections. Have them pierced with a real piercing needle. I used to be a piercer so feel free to contact me if you have any questions.
    sbastille

Answer by sbastille at 9:58 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• I would say no. My dd had her's pierced after her first shots. At 9 mos she probably won't play with them too much if at all. That is the main concern is them messing with them and pulling at them. Also do the research when you decide to pierce them. Don't just go to the first place you find. I know how exciting it is. I would also give her some tylenol before you get them pierced. Good luck!
    mom2averal

Answer by mom2averal at 10:06 AM on Oct. 30, 2008