Constipation question :/

So I hear pre natal vitamins give you constipation! Well I am on prescription PNV! Well I always constipated! I've been taking fiber pills for about 3 days but it doesn't seem much better! Any one have something better to take or any advice on what I can do!?
(This is baby # 1 so I'm sorta clueless!!)

brittneyk86

Asked by brittneyk86 at 6:26 PM on Oct. 26, 2010 in Health

• i have never heard they give you constipation, i didnt know that! I know pregnancy alone can.. My doc says if it happens to me, take milk of magnesia! GL!
    vvlinley21

Answer by vvlinley21 at 6:28 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Well I heard like Iron pills (which I took) could! So i figure PNV would REALLY give it to you! BUT not 100 percent sure! But definitly will try this if the pills don't work!! THANKS :)
    brittneyk86

Comment by brittneyk86 (original poster) at 6:31 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Are you drinking plenty of water when you take your PNV. Your doctor should have a list of stuff that you that you can take.
    nicjon

Answer by nicjon at 6:33 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Well this was one of them...but they arn't working! And i drink water all day but not sure if it's enough when I actually take the pill! That may make a difference too! Just didn't know if anyone took anything that they really felt worked!
    brittneyk86

Comment by brittneyk86 (original poster) at 6:36 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• If you are constipated, fiber will make it worse.  What you need is magnesium.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 6:49 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• REALLY?! WOW!! Ok thanks! That is VERY good to know!!
    brittneyk86

Comment by brittneyk86 (original poster) at 7:02 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I learnt this from my gastro-enterologist because I have the opposite problem to you lol.

Fiber's only benefit to your health is to bulk up your stools so if you have problems with constipation, you really need to watch your intake and always drink plenty of water.

Magnesium is a natural laxative so lucky you, chocolate is a good source lol.  Also prunes and blueberries are good to get you moving.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:22 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• My Dr always recommends fruits like prunes, peaches, oranges.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:01 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• hmmm, i have alway found that eating brown rice, lots of greens and taking probiotics was pretty good.
    cut back on processed foods for sure. no white bread, no white pasta, no white rice.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 8:03 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• *********CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR FIRST BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    happy2bmom25