Incest

I saw a story several years back where a lady was married to her cousin and I just can't understand why a person would want to be in relationship with her own relative. It's sad really. Does anyone on here personally know someone who is dating or have kids by her relative?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:07 PM on Oct. 26, 2010 in Relationships

• No I don't, and personally I also think it's disgusting.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 7:09 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I think it would have to depend on the people. The only reason it used to be illegal is for genetic reasons but now you can get tested to check for any problems. The way people marry or not, divorce, remarry, move all over the world, there could be relatives who don't even know they are. Can't legislate love!
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 7:13 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• had friends who were bro and sis and married but were adopted out at birth neither knew til after they had kids and everything
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 7:15 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• yea actually my godmother is married to her cousin no kids though. i just recently found out about it. its kinda revolting but what can you do in their mind and heart it feels right and i still love both of them
    Mamii0f2

Answer by Mamii0f2 at 7:17 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• In many cultures and countries marrying your first cousin is not illegal and is not considered incest. The UK being one of them.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 7:22 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I think it really depends on a lot of factors. I mean, I haven't even met some of my own cousins, even first cousins, so if I met them and liked them, I wouldn't even know they were family. Genetics aren't worn on our sleeves. And not everyone is quite as sensitive to the idea of being in a relationship with a cousin as others are. Could I knowingly do it? No, I don't think I could, but that's because of how I view it. The ONLY reason it was ever made illegal was because of the belief that inbreeding caused genetic abnormalities... Today, we know that's not true, inbreeding only causes the breakdown of genetics over generations, not one simply coupling, and inter-family relationships between cousins or further lessen the chances even more. We can't help who we are attracted to or who we love... IF they are happy that way, how does it affect anyone else? It doesn't... So why should anyone care.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:23 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I think it depends on the situation... If we're talking about cousins who grew up together, I agree, it's disturbing. But if we're talking about cousins who were never close growing up, and basically never really interacted as family, I can see how it can happen. I still wouldn't do it, but since it's legal, I'm not going to judge anybody.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 7:26 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I know a couple that are cousins and they married and have 2 kids.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 7:30 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• i know a father who raped his daughter and at 16 they had a little girl , she got taken away from her mother for other reasons but the child is perfectly normal and her children are too. disgusting very because it was father and daughter, but if they were cousins, and the child came out normal and no one knew they were cousins.. would ppl look at them diff? i don't know, all i know is if they aren't close like 1st or 2nd then i think to each their own.

pinkrayn

Answer by pinkrayn at 7:41 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• NO I don't know anyone, and I'm not saying I agree with it. But in some other cultures It is normal for cousins to marry each other. They do it to keep all of their possessions and wealth within a family. Of course these are non-western cultures I'm talking about so it's very very different from we know. However, it is a cultural universal (meaning NO cultures) accept marriage or intercourse within the nuclear family meaning mothers and sons, fathers and daughters, brothers and sisters. It is also false that incest causes deformities and such. What does happen though is if 2 family member mate that have a mental or physical disability, the child will have double that disability.... gross I know.

There. You learn something new every day don't you? :)
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 8:21 PM on Oct. 26, 2010