S/O Question To Pagans About Demons And Demonic Possession

If you are Pagan and do not believe in demons or demonic possession, then:
1. What do you think about exorcism?
2. What do you think about 'A Haunting' TV series on Discovery Health Channel?

flatlanderjenn

Asked by flatlanderjenn at 7:28 PM on Oct. 26, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Exorcism has been popularized by the catholic religion, but has been around & practied for thousands of years. I'm hundu & we also do "exorcisms" & believe that a soul can try to in inhabit a human body.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:47 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• 1 Exorcism, as of right now, is a part of the Church... so, really, I think nothing of it.
    2. A Haunting is kinda ... a waste of time. The show puts a spin on particular practices and overdramatizes practicing witches.. or, makes witches out to be the bad guy.. my DH knows very little about the Craft and he calls BS when he watches it.
    Kaelansmom

Answer by Kaelansmom at 7:53 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I don't have the Discovery Channel, so I've never seen that show and can't comment on it.

However, As with "Demons" there is a long history behind the belief of exorcism. It has existed in one form or another in just about every culture since the earliest times... Exorcism is generally associated with Catholicism and Christianity, however, there are many Pagan religions which have similar practices and understandings, many of which date back quite a long time (especially in more native belief systems).

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:44 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I dont watch that show so I dont have any say one way or the other.

I think bad spirits exist but it boils down to negative people leaving negative energy behind. I dont think it invades other bodies or anything like that.
    I think exorcism is about making others and the "possessed" feel better. The mind is a powerful thing so a way was found to give the appearance of relief.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 9:33 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Once on A Haunting a psychic was called in to allegedly remove the soul of an unborn child that died (the mother miscarried) a century ago. I think that's just silly cuz if a single unborn child is still haunting a house after a century then psychics or exorcists should be in heavy demand at abortion mills. Silly! And sometimes other non-Catholics are called to perform exorcisms, which is interesting, and most use sage.

But about those who conjure up the dead and practice witchcraft and need an exorcist? You think it's fictitious and a deliberate insult to those who practice witchcraft? Or maybe they are melodramatic and just need Prozac?
    flatlanderjenn

Comment by flatlanderjenn (original poster) at 8:01 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I don't really believe in demons per say. Its all in how I define it I suppose. I do believe in bad spirits who are confused, angry, & misguided. Their not truly evil. Possessions happen when a lost spirit (Those who don't cross over properly. They either refused to believe their dead or for some reason got lost in the process) tries to reincarnate by taking over a living person. Its generally unsuccessful and causes havoc for the live person.
    I've never watched the show you are speaking of, however I find most hauntings on tv are bs. You never really see anything. Its just them and some dark shadows.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 8:02 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• i do believe in demons and I also believe in possession. So yes exorcism goes right in there with what I believe. But I have seen those shows and I think that it is a joke and an insult to my religion to screw with these things and get yourself possessed. If you do not know what you are doing or what you are dealing with then leave it alone.

Anonymous

• I don't believe in demons or the devil. I too believe there are troubled spirits who are confused and yes, angry. I don't think they are evil but rather tormented in life and or a traumatic death such as murder.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 8:56 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I think the discovery channel hauntings are BS too.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 8:57 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Never heard of the show, but I don't really put much stock in Christian scary tales (meaning the things they make up to terrorize their children into behaving). In terms of real life exorcisms, I think a lot of mentally or physically ill people have been abused in the name of exorcism.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:14 PM on Oct. 26, 2010