• In the Spotlight:

Craigslist scams?????

so i posted my sons olf baby clothes up on craigslist and have been in contact with some guy named John Pop, who wants the clothes. I guess UPS is suppose to deliver a certified check to me today, and once i cash it i was told to deduct my money and the go wire the rest of the money through money gram to the shipping company who will come pick up the clothes. Ever since this guy contacted me i thought it was fishy, but not sure. Could this guy be running a scam, or should i just not worry about it? i mean if this is a scam and its a bad check and i cash it, can i get in trouble? i just know know, need some outside input

mybabychunk

Asked by mybabychunk at 9:32 AM on Oct. 30, 2008 in Money & Work

• DO NOT CASH THE CHECK!!! The bank will cash it but a couple weeks later it will bounce and you will be responsible for the charges. As for Craigslist items only accept cash. It the only way to protect yourself. Read Cl's terms on their site they have a lot of safety tips. And report this to Cl. Good Luck!!
    lilymama03

Answer by lilymama03 at 9:36 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• I have had people try to do the same to me, and I reported to Craigslist. They said this is a classic scam. It will end up costing you a lot of money if you cash the check. Only deal with local area people that pay you cash upfront. In fact when you post a item for sale include that you accept cash only.
    lilymama03

Answer by lilymama03 at 9:38 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• NO NO NO. If someone wants something frmo me we either meet someplace public, or they come to my house when my husband is home. I don't deal with anything through the mail and accept cash only.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:41 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• SCAMMMMMMM
    Christinemg0813

Answer by Christinemg0813 at 9:49 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Accept cash only! No checks!
    SaferAtHome

Answer by SaferAtHome at 10:02 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Scam!! If you are selling the clothing then there is NO reason for you to wire the buyer money!!!!
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 10:05 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• It sounds shady to me but I don't understand how you could lose money on the deal... My bank doesn't charge me if someone defalts on a check they just go after them... I still wouldn't do it though just cause this guy sounds greasy!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:38 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• YUP it's a scam.. do not send the clothes nor cash the check.. just cut off all contact right now!
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 11:04 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• are you crazy? come on use your brain. never never never accept a check from a stranger.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Don't!! Always specify cash only and local pick up only.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 11:42 AM on Oct. 30, 2008