Is pubic hair shaving or waxing common?

I found out my teen has been shaving all her pubic hair off and I am concerned. Does this mean she is sexually active? Or is it just normal and acceptable these days? I know most women are doing it, but what about teens?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:45 PM on Oct. 26, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I do it, but it has nothing to do with sex, but then again my hormones are not raging!

Answer by older at 7:46 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• My guess would be that she is sexually active

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:46 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I've either shaved or waxed my pubic hair since it first started coming in, I don't know many that didn't at least trim it up from very early on. I always considered it to be basic hygiene...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:47 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I have done that since it started growing, I can't STAND having any hair down there. I really don't think it has much to do with being sexually active or not, I know I wasn't...
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 7:48 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I agree with Sabrina...I've always waxed mine
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 7:48 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I think it is just the way some people prefer their pubic area....and how their S/O prefers it. My hubby prefers it as it is so I leave it au natural.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 7:55 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I never heard of doing it until I joined CafeMom and started reading about all these youngMoms shaving or waxing. Yikes! I see it as a waste of tme. i I figure if you are growing hair there, it must be necessary ---biologically, it seems to serve a purpose, just like hair on your head and fingenails and toenails. WHy remove it? .I would feel like I was 8 years old again and wonder if that appealed to a guy who likes little girls. Men LIKE a "natural woman".

But---as far as your young daughter....maybe this is a good time to discuss WHY she wants to do that and also....talk about SEX and how its good to avoid sex until she is a mature woman....or if she is already having sex, talk about BIRTH CONTROL! ( Oh,yeah, young dumb kids think that Oral is not having sex....duhhh....it is sex.)
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 7:56 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I think hair there is nasty, I mean biologicaly nessesary? NOT!! lol thats the funniest thing I've heard. I mean, people go bald, shave their head, legs....they are fine.
    I was mortified when mine started growing, so I shaved it. I let it go for a few years, and am a regular shaver now. It dosnt hurt, if you do it properly and regularly.
    I'd say it has nothing to do with sex...
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 8:01 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• With me...I started trimming it when I was 16 and started messing around with a guy. We weren't having sex, but we were messing around. I started shaving it when I started having sex...BUT this is not me saying that your daughter is! It's possible, but some teens/women just prefer it that way. I would shave my bikini line BEFORE I started trimming and shaving, so maybe that's what she's doing...only she's doing the whole thing...
    dlandrum

Answer by dlandrum at 8:14 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Maybe all her friends are doing it. Talk it over with her.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:18 PM on Oct. 26, 2010