I need help I have a 5 year old son who has adhd he is on meds but were struggling to find one that works he is on a generic ridalyn right now but he still is very hyper.

buzy-mom

Asked by buzy-mom at 7:56 PM on Oct. 26, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My son was on Rtalin for years. I never saw a huge difference. This year he is on Vyvanse and he is doing much better. His grades are so much better. Talk to your doctor.
    Anonymous

• he was on vyvance we had to take him off it because it made him so hyper he would get up at 5 am and not go to bed until after 10pm plus he woke up all hours of the night...
    buzy-mom

Comment by buzy-mom (original poster) at 8:19 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I agree with PP, Vyvanse worked wonders on so many kids I know. My DH takes it also and loves it, he says it's way better than Ritalin.
    Ariesmama4life

Answer by Ariesmama4life at 8:20 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• did you dh had increased blood pressure at all my son did.. it was very scary for me...to have a 5 year old with this.. the doctor did start my son on intuniv first but the drug is so new that insurances don't cover it and I can't afford a $150 drug every month
    buzy-mom

Comment by buzy-mom (original poster) at 8:23 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• My son takes adderall xr and it's worked pretty well. IT does cause him to be very emotional, but not so hyperactive - even makes him sleepy. I've heard great things about vyvanse - but our insurance doesn't cover it, and it is expensive. Check to see if it's affordable.
    hopeful32362

Answer by hopeful32362 at 12:09 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I don't understand what doctor would put a five year old boy on those kinds of medications in the first place?!?!? My child was also diagnosed with ADHD, but we tried diets and biofeedback until 10 years old before medication. The diet worked wonders and we never had to put him on meds.
    beendethroned

Answer by beendethroned at 11:52 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I was ADHD...and still am. I was on Ritalin for a year...mom took me off it, and from then on, it was a foot up the ass if I misbehaved.
    The foot up the ass worked better, imho.

They wanted me to put my kids on something, and I flatly refused...they turned out just fine, with the foot in the ass method.

Sorry, these drugs are toxic. I didn't need ritalin, my mother and the teacher needed valium.
    romanceparty4u

Answer by romanceparty4u at 1:58 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• i'm not sure, but here's a bump for you!
    asil

Answer by asil at 11:15 PM on Oct. 31, 2010