baby waking up coughing

my 10 month old son has woke up coughing twice today. he has been sick but i thought he was over it. at first he was hoarse, and then he was running a fever, and now coughing so hard he can barely catch his breath!! it scares me to death. it kinda sounds like the commercial with the baby that has whooping cough...i am just very concerned, does anyone know if it could be that?? or just allergies?

oh and this last time he coughed so hard and threw some clear mucus like stuff...

EheartsZ07

Asked by EheartsZ07 at 8:04 PM on Oct. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Take him to the doctor to rule out whooping cough. Could also be asthma.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 8:14 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• My DD used to do this when she was about 4 months i also was worried about her breathing as well. but she had the same symptoms. i ended up taking her to the hospital and they were like is she gagging when she coughs too? They said it was allergies and gave her liquid childrens benadryl and told me to give it to her at home as well....
    kknJt

Answer by kknJt at 8:37 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• thats what everyone is telling me...its allergies. he really does have bad allergies his eyes are always watery especially when he is around grass. so maybe i can try benadryl but im probably still going to take him to the dr tomorrow thanks :)
    EheartsZ07

Comment by EheartsZ07 (original poster) at 11:21 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Our son has allergies and has a dry cough off and on. It is really bad at night. Somehow he sleeps through it, but I always wake up. Maybe have him sleep with a humidifier...I was also told that if they are coughing so bad, to take them out in cool, brisk air. He has never had a fever with it....I'm not a doctor, but if he has a fever, I would think it would be something besides allergies..Good luck and hope he feels better soon.
    BWIND

Answer by BWIND at 11:57 PM on Oct. 26, 2010