Why does she do this?

My 20 year old daughter has been telling people she is pregnant and has had miscarriages and abortions for years, starting at the age of 14. In the past I have found notes from her friends congratulating her (LOL) and recently had a family member question me about her myspace page. It has a pic of an ultrasound with her claiming she is 7 weeks pregnant. When I confronted her, she said it was a joke between her and a friend. I have told her she is only ruining her reputation, that if she is doing it for attention she will only be getting herself in trouble. That she cant trap a man by lieing to him about something like this. She continues to do it. My daughter has never been pregnant, has never had a miscarriage, or an abortion. EVER. I just dont understand why she does it or what she gets out of it. BTW Her father was NEVER a part of her life,if that has anything to do with it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:42 AM on Oct. 30, 2008 in Adult Children (18+)

• I think your right,, it is all about getting attention..Sense she is 20 their is not much you can do about it,,But tell her how you feel and leave it at that..If anyone came and asked you about it ,,I would just say "as far as I know she's not pregnant."

Answer by louise2 at 9:51 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• She's 20 years old. Do you really know that she hasn't had an abortion or miscarriage? I don't understand how you can know those things for a fact.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• I know cause she still lives with me. I know every doctor appointment , every period. She is a compulsive liar and I have had problems with her since she was 12. Took her to therapy, worked for a while then back to old self. Every time I talk to her about her lies, she stops for about a week. Then she wonders why I dont trust her. I can deal with her stupid lies to me. I know when she lies. But to tell people she's pregnant? abortions? miscarriages? You dont play with people like that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Sounds like she needs some psychological help....try to have her evaluated.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 1:12 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Let her ruin her rep. She obviously doesn't care. That may seem really mean but she's 20 and will do what she likes and right now she's being an attention whore.
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 4:07 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• She's 20 years old. She crossed that 18 year old stage where she isn't a child anymore. Yes, you'll always be her mother...but she needs to be doing some growing up. Miscarriages and abortions aren't jokes...and it seems like she thinks they are. I got pregnant for the first time at 22 (I was with my husband for a long time before that) and we miscarried...not a huge age gap between then and your daughters age now. My point is, eventually she's going to lie to the wrong person and it's going to get her in trouble.
    meitaimom679

Answer by meitaimom679 at 12:23 AM on Nov. 1, 2008

• It sounds like she really wants a man in her life and it probably does have something to do with her father not being around. My father died at a young age and I struggled with not having him or a male influence in my life. I never made up stories about being pregnant or anything like that so I think your daughter just needs to be more mature about this situation. I was pregnant at 17 and got married at 18 but having a man's baby doesn't mean he will love you. Me and my husband got married because we loved each other not because we had a child together. and lying to a guy about having a baby is a really dumb thing to do that could get her into trouble!
    Yungmom_17

Answer by Yungmom_17 at 11:14 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• Not having a father in her life doesn't give her an excuse to lie like this. I'm 22 years old and have never known my father. I don't even know his name. You daughter is just doing this for attention and she may need help.
    NewArrival

Answer by NewArrival at 2:12 PM on Nov. 22, 2008