Pro-choice but...

So I saw a mother's blinking signature on CM and it had me really confused. She was adamantly pro-choice (you know those stay out of my uterus, my body my choice, types of blinkies). But then she also had all of these blinkies saying circumcision is mutilation (not just one of the raising intact boys one, basically blinkies attacking people who circumcise). So I was confused. How can someone be ok with you terminating your pregnancy but not ok with you cutting a piece of skin off? So it would be ok if I had terminated my pregnancy with my son, because its my body my choice, but if I circumcise him I am a horrible mother? Can someone please help me to understand how this mentality works? Termination...ok, Circumcision...MUTILATION!! I am just lost.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:51 AM on Oct. 30, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I'd like to know that myself
    Christinemg0813

Answer by Christinemg0813 at 9:53 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Yes. By circumcising you are making a decision to permanently alter your son's body...a decision he will have to live with for the rest of his life. In regards to being pro-choice, one could say thatves that its HIS body and should be HIS choice whether or not perfectly functional pieces of it are removed. I'm sure if your genitals were mutilated at birth, you would have some issues with the fact that this had been done without your consent.
    Rachelou

Answer by Rachelou at 10:02 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• She has a right to be that way on those issues..To me circumcision and abortions are to different issues totally..Just like I believe in abortions,,But not late term abortions..People have the right to believe anyway they want...Just like you believe your way

Answer by louise2 at 10:02 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• i'm guessing abortion is ok b/c "its her body her choice" but once the baby is born circumcision is not ok cause its "his body his choice" and he is obviously too young to make that decision for himself.

On that note, I'm pro-Life and had my son circ'd :)
    abayhaymom

Answer by abayhaymom at 10:03 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• LOL. "I'm sure if your genitals were mutilated at birth, you would have some issues with the fact that this had been done without your consent."

Mutilated? That's a bit of an overstatement, don't you think? Besides, have you ever met a grown man who was mourning the loss of his foreskin (which he has no recollection of ever having)? I think not.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:07 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Ok Rachelou, so death is preferred to "genital mutilation" (even though the genitals are still perfectly functional)? I am honestly trying to see how she can be ok with death to the child before he is born, but she would not be ok with a little snip of the skin after he is born. Mom has a choice to kill him before hand, but she should never circumcise. It still doesn't make sense.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:09 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Ok. "his body his choice" - but he didn't have any choice when HIS BODY was ripped limb by limb from the womb, eh? Yeah - I see how that makes sense. Pssh.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:18 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• You seem the type to bomb abortion clinic,, because your way is the only right way of thinking...

Answer by louise2 at 10:33 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• "You seem the type to bomb abortion clinic,, because your way is the only right way of thinking..."

That is taking it to extremes, no? I don't think this is where the topic is supposed to go. Just curious minds want to know. Your judging someone by what they say and that's not fair and that is a mean thing to say.
    Christinemg0813

Answer by Christinemg0813 at 10:36 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Here's a thought...
    It seems to be OK to kill the baby as long as it's still unborn, if circumcision was done in the womb, before the baby is born, would it be OK then?
    I, like you, poster, find it very interesting how some people can be so double-minded about things. They proudly and unashamedly proclaim that they believe it's OK to rip a baby apart in the womb and pull it out piece by piece and throw it away, but can be so over the top with their opinion of something as minuscule as a little piece of skin taken off.
    Just an extra tidbit... I also find it very interesting that most people who are in favor of legalized killing of innocent babies, are very against capitol punishment!!! This also doesn't make sense. It's OK to brutally mutilate, kill and throw away an innocent baby, but on the other hand, preserve the life of someone who committed a crime worthy of death. Is it any wonder our country is in the shape it is?!
    BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 10:37 AM on Oct. 30, 2008