VBAC

I just had my daughter 5-4-10 via c-section (stalled and spiked a low grade fever and she was stressed after laboring from a little before 8am to 10:37pm when she was born). Well I was hoping to find a VBAC supportive OB next time around.

How good is my chance of finding a supportive OB? How good is my chance of a successful VBAC? Does anyone have a successful VBAC story?

Mama2BabyTaurus

Asked by Mama2BabyTaurus at 8:26 PM on Oct. 26, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Its kind of hard to find a doctor willing to go with a vbac. I just had my 2nd c section in September, My doctors wouldn't allow me to try vbac because it doomed to be risky
    newmommyjazz

Answer by newmommyjazz at 10:33 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Were you induced/have any drugs?

I think that your chances are very good, especially when you don't hire a surgeon to attend your normal vaginal birth.
    ;-)

Who you hire can be your greatest "risk factor."
    Why not use a provider with better knowledge & experience as a Normal Birth Specialist, look into a midwife!
    The farther from "high-tech/low-touch" the better for healthy pregnancies.
    That can be hard in the medical environment with a medical-minded practitioner.

Sounds like you can learn about Failure To Progress (AKA Failure To Wait), learn about what is normal for most labors, discover that most labors do like to take a breather and it's Nature's design to give the body a rest.
    It really makes a big difference to know when the interventions themselves cause the cascade of complications so that you can have an awareness when to opt out.

Good luck to you!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:13 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• "I just had my 2nd c section in September, My doctors wouldn't allow me to try vbac because it doomed to be risky "

Without self-study and investigating other opinions, it would be hard to know if this is truthful.
    Many women are told this, but it's not truth.

Now that ACOG reversed it's position on VBACs/VBA2Cs, you might find that OBs are *now* supportive and you can have your *next* vaginally with an OB!

Although it will still be more likely with a midwife, generally a better chance.

doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:16 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I totally agree with doulala. OBs are SURGEONS. A midwife is your best bet. Self education will take you FAR. Start reading up now.
    Laws vary by state regarding VBACs, but the risk is actually quite low of uterine rupture, as in, about 0.5%. Before you start trying for the next baby, find a good midwife. She will prove invaluable. Find out about freestanding birth centers in your area, because most of them can do VBACs, as far as I know. They don't provide epidurals, just an FYI. (an epidural will actually increase your risk of a c-section anyway)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:41 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• i had a vbac before but prefer c-sections
    405mom

Answer by 405mom at 1:36 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I have 6 doctors in my dr office and they all do VBAC. She said it is actually quite common. I'm hoping to have one for this next baby.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 11:31 AM on Oct. 27, 2010