Husband is trying to be involved when home....baby Isabel is not cooperating. Would love advice.

My husband works 12 hours a day as a manager of a Home Depot. He tried to get home by 8 each night to give Isabel (almost 4 months old) a bath...but she is fussy in the evening sand even fusses during the bath (which she never does with me). I am afraid she is getting too used to only me. He is not here enough to learn how to soothe her and get her used to the way he does things....and I can't stand to listen to her scream. Plus, I feel that he never sees the "good" side of her that I see all day. It is very frustrating....any advice? Or when will things change so that she is less attached to just me?

siren77

Asked by siren77 at 8:32 PM on Oct. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Things will change as she gets older...............

Answer by older at 8:35 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Be supportive and don't let him give up and you try not to give in to your instinct to just take over. Give it some time and they will warm up to each other!
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 8:39 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Thing will change. My husband's job took him a way on the weekdays so my son hardly saw him. sometimes i would just get up and get out the house to let them have a little bonding time. Give it time. good luck.
    nicjon

Answer by nicjon at 8:39 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I would just see if he can spend a little extra time with her, maybe other than the bath, read to her, or give her a bottle, talk/play anything to strengthen that bond. Maybe she just doesn't like the way he does bath time?? I agree with the above, don't give up. Daddy daughter bonding is very important! :)
    mom2maddie06

Answer by mom2maddie06 at 8:47 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I felt the same exact way when my dd was first born. I actually felt bad for my husband, because she seemed to have a melt down every night. But now my dd is 9 months old and she squeals in delight when he walks in the door. hang in there is will get better.
    cherylw993

Answer by cherylw993 at 8:50 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Have a stern talk with baby Isabel about the importance of making her father feel included. Just kidding.
    It's tough, but your DH has to remember not to take it personally. Babies do get used to their main caretaker. However, in a few short months she will be very playful, and then he can be the "fun" parent!! Both of my kids were like this at that age.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 9:19 PM on Oct. 26, 2010