Catholic help?

I was baptised Catholic, raised Christian, became a Wiccan, and now am back to trying to find a path. I recently married a Catolic. Hes hispanic, so it in his family, as part of his culture. Hes not devout, hasnt been to church in a minute, but he believes in God. He wants to me to join in his belief. Things is, I dont follow those rules. Im not looking to get reamed by hard-core religous people, Im not trying to be "saved". I told him I would try to..."convert" if you will. I dont have a set path, so why not try this one? I DO believe in a higher deity, but only see the bible as an elaborate, and good, story with alot of missing pieces..sorry..not knockin, just what I think.
So, with that said, whats the best way to start having more faith in the "higher up/s?" I believe in fate, that things happen for a reason. so ow can i integrate that into my family so its acceptable, without me feeling too fake? I need SERIOUS answers..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:37 PM on Oct. 26, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't think this is something you should fake. I think that spiritual beliefs are part of your core. I really think you need to discuss what you believe with your SO and take it from there. He should not expect you to convert. Be true to yourself. If he can't respect you for that, then he might not be the one.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 8:48 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• If he is not devout and neither are you..you could both start with RCIA. It's a class that helps to explain Catholicism to possible converts. I know you were raised Catholic, but maybe it will help to have a refresher. I agree with SleepingBeautee. You shouldn't fake your faith, and your kids be able to tell. I also recommend you pray together. Ask God to open your hearts to his love, to bless you marriage and your family. Even if you don't know what kind of "higher power" you believe in, God knows you are praying to Him. Find a good priest and ask the hard questions. Ask him to answer any/all question about God and the teachings of the church. Why did you leave the Church in the first place? That might be a good place to start.
    Unfortunately Catholicism is a faith that requires that you change you life..even when it's hard. If you are looking for something that makes you feel good about yourself it might be an uphill battle.
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 1:05 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Wow these are really things you should talk about before you get married. I don't think anyone should be pushed into any religion because it doesn't matter unless it's something you really believe in. That said if you are curious and just want to find out about the Catholic Church I would start by visiting several in your area because each one will be different. It's the people that make up the church so you will have a different experience depending on the makeup of the parishioners.

After you find a church join the RCIA and be honest that you are just trying to find out more about the church and you want to understand the religion better. There are many different reasons to join RCIA, many people who are already Catholic join just to get a better understanding of Catholicism if they don't have a good foundation. Good Luck.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:08 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• How can you believe in a higher up and not believe in the Bible? You need to pray for spiritual understanding and read bible don't just pick out certain scriptures like some preachers do. Read the before and after scriptures to have and understanding of the meaning. The Bible is words given to prophets through the holy spirit. Jesus birth is predicted in the old testament and took place. I will pray for you! You don't necessarily have to have the same values and religion as your husband.
    Momabear455

Answer by Momabear455 at 11:18 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• You should take a religion course & see what speaks to you the most.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:43 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• You already have good advice, but I'd like to add that catholicscomehome.org and catholic.com are two very awesome resources.
    flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 9:50 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• If you were baptized in the Catholic church, you are still considered Catholic so you dont have to actually "convert" to anything. Just a thought there. As far as going the whole nine yards with it & embracing it, well guess that's up to you but there are a lot of rules & regulations (so to speak) that come along with the Catholic religion. I would get a catechism book & read that & see how you feel about it.
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 1:35 AM on Oct. 28, 2010