Did you once have someone like this in your life, and eventually chose to just cut them out of your life?

Have you ever had someone who claimed that they were always there for you, but in actuality they might have been there maybe once or twice, and the rest of the time they were too caught up in their own life and fun to even talk to you for a few minutes when you needed someone? I've recently discovered that most of my "friends" seem to be like that. I bend over backwards, go out of my way, do whatever it takes to help them, but when I just need to talk to someone because I feel like I'm about to break or fall apart, most are nowhere to be found. I've dealt with this before, but not since high school. I don't think it would bother me so much if they had a good reason for being unavailable, but usually it's something like, "Oh I was watching a movie with my boy/girlfriendand didn't feel like interrupting it by answering my phone," or "I was playing Call of Duty and decided I would just text you sometime tomorrow."

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 8:50 PM on Oct. 26, 2010 in Relationships

• Quite a few...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:57 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• My friend says i do this to her all the time, but in reality i don't. I am married with two kids, so i have a lot going on. I talk to her on the phone a lot, but she is always getting mad because i don't want to go out with her anymore. I basically have been cutting her out of my life because she is a very negative person, and that is the main reason i dont want to do anything with her. If you have a friend that is giving you actual lame excuses, maybe you should just forget about her and find other friends.
    fallmommy

Answer by fallmommy at 9:37 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Since motherhood I have had less time for friends :(. Family comes first. I've cut more people loose because they are mean or negative.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 8:59 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• yes. It hurts,doesn't it.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 9:02 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• See I just feel like if i try to talk to them they don't understand b/c they don't have the same issues as i do and the few i did seemed to disregard me since they became parents its crazy i figured motherhood would have brought us together but heck they still act like i don't matter but its ok i have my son it hurts but in the end my family is fun
    acastle2

Answer by acastle2 at 9:40 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• True friends are really hard to find. I have discovered that over time, that we all need a break from each other. So maybe it's time for you to find other friends. When you do find a true friend, make sure you keep them.
    depressedmom65

Answer by depressedmom65 at 9:21 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• See, I would understand if these people actually had reasons to not be able to talk (like work, family, school, etc.), but it's always something like they were hanging around with other friends getting drunk or high all weekend, they were watching tv with their SO (who they live with), or they were playing video games, or they were updating their myspace, etc. What IS this high school?! I have a 2 year old and I'm in school full time and looking for a job, yet I have no problem with dropping everything to help them out. If the reasons weren't so pathetic, it would not be that big of an issue. I would be bummed because I felt like no one cared enough to try to make 5 minutes to talk, but life goes on. I'm just so sick of having people latching onto me just to get what they want or need, but never returning the favor.
    Mrs.BAT

Comment by Mrs.BAT (original poster) at 10:03 PM on Oct. 26, 2010