Wisdom teeth...

I have a dentist apt tomorrow to get 4 wisdom teeth pulled out they do not bother me at all but he said I need them out anyways I am breastfeeding my 2mth old the dr said the medication will not affect my milk my question is have you or anyone you know had the procedure done and did it or did it not affect your milk supply ????

babycakeschris

Asked by babycakeschris at 8:58 PM on Oct. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would not get them out if you do not need to. Medication does not affect the supply...I would just not give it to baby.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 9:00 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Why do they need to come out? If they are healthy teeth that are not bothering you, then why take them. It sounds like someone is just trying to make money doing something that is not needed. I would want to know exactly why they need to be removed.

emerald53197

Answer by emerald53197 at 9:05 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• They do not hurt or bother me at all he just said the need to be out so I figured he knows what he is talking about...But I am breastfeeding and I know medication can pass through the breast milk and the medication is pain medication and so on and I don't want the chances of my baby being drugged up...I think I am going to ditch the apt...
    babycakeschris

Comment by babycakeschris (original poster) at 9:08 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• What if there is a complication with the pulling and surgery is needed to get them out after all? DH had a complication and had to go down and get surgery on them ASAP. I know they knocked me out with some kind of IV drip for surgery for that.....
    Anonymous

• Just because they aren't bothering you doesn't mean that you do not need to get them out. My Dad's dentist told him he needed to get them out and he figured that they weren't bothering him and didn't bother. They were impacted, but weren't causing pain at that time. Then years later the pain started and the infection and the doctor couldn't fit him in for a week or so.
    If the dentist recommends it, I would get it done before you suffer needlessly later.
    I think the milk thing is up to you and your comfort level. You need to be ok with what you are giving your child.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:09 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I would definitely get them taken out. My husband's doctor wouldn't do it for him when he was on his parents' dental insurance because he said there was enough room in his mouth for them. About five months after we got married, his wisdom teeth literally started rotting out of his mouth. They were just impossible to keep clean and often abscess even when you can keep them clean. I had mine surgically removed when I was a teen, and even though it was painful, I am so grateful my parents had it done.
    jb1663

Answer by jb1663 at 9:12 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Get a second opinion!
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:17 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I would not get them out unless they were bothering you . Get a second opinion because any pain killers they give you DOES pass from the mother through breast milk.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:08 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I had a root canal on one tooth and they said I was fine to nurse but the pain meds after I didnt take because the pharmicist said not to nurse while taking them and that was 800 mg motrin. Also the dentist and doctors will know the best answers.
    socalikim

Answer by socalikim at 1:46 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Just because they don't hurt does not mean they are not impacted, or causing your other teeth to shift. If you are unsure of the diagnosis, seek a second opinion. If you are going to go ahead with the procedure (which is what I would probably do) the only time you will not be able to nurse is during the procedure. Once you are awake and alert, and can safely hold your baby, you can safely nurse. The common medications for pain and infection prevention post oral surgery are compatible with nursing as well.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:03 AM on Oct. 27, 2010