Do you buy a seat for your toddler/baby when you fly?

I don't fly often but I am taking a short 2 hour flight around Christmas. My Mom is trying to convince me that I dont need to buy a seat for my 2 year old, but I am pregnant and really dont want to be stuck with a rowdy toddler on my lap for 2 hours. In your experience, would that be a bad idea?

jenellemarie

Asked by jenellemarie at 9:08 PM on Oct. 26, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• id buy a seat as well... the thought of holding my 22 month old for 2 hours makes me wanna cringe!
    mnmommy83

Answer by mnmommy83 at 9:09 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• no don't buy one i had a 3 year old and i was 3 m pregnant i had a 4 hr flight ever thing went fine
    vmr

Answer by vmr at 9:12 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Once your child turns 2 they have to be in their own seat. Holding them is no longer an option. You should be able to use your regular carseat that you use for driving.

Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 9:13 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Yep I wouldn't buy one. If I don't have to I don't. I have flown many time being pregnant and with one or two little ones and unless they are 2 or older I do not buy one. I think that it is just too expensive. If you have the money to do then why not.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 9:14 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• id save the extra money lol my child wont sit still to save her life! id be a hellish ride
    mnmommy83

Answer by mnmommy83 at 9:15 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I buy a seat, but that is because AA makes you buy one for kids over 2 and my son is a very large 26 month old.. but he likes to sit on my lap and is allot less fussy that way.. as soon as the stewardess sees him freaking out in the seat they tell me its okay to hold him.
    MamaJasmine

Answer by MamaJasmine at 9:27 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• i always bought the seat. ask the airline if there is a cheaper ticket for a child....I never did this, but heard of people asking. when you check in ask if they can put you either at the back of the plane or the front, the front seats have more room.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:33 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• If they're two you have to buy a seat. Under two, well, it depends on the child. My sister flew from Ethiopia to Hawaii with a 18 month old who had never been out of the orphanage (on her lap). I figure if she can survive that, anyone can fly with a toddler on their lap.
    lifetimelove

Answer by lifetimelove at 12:06 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Well, when we fly next my son will only be about a year and a half and I plan on just holding him on my lap. He wouldn't want to sit in the car seat anyways,
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 1:27 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Oh goodness, I've taken my son on at least 20 flights and I'm going to recommend getting his own seat. If your son is anything like mine (rowdy, playful, energetic), then you're going to hate a plane ride with him stuck on your lap. Not to mention how much you neighbor WILL hate you. Especially you being pregnant. If you can afford it, do it.
    fireeyes81

Answer by fireeyes81 at 3:36 AM on Oct. 27, 2010