How do I get my 19 mo. old to eat???

I have 2 other boys and never had a problem other than here and there, but my 19 mo. old won't eat! I'm a big believer in picky eaters are made not born, but this little guy is testing my beliefs! I would love to think this is a phase, but it's been going on for 5 months and everytime I take him to the Dr. he's underweight??? The Dr. just says "Be consistent" I'm being as consistent as I can to no avail. Any suggestions?

BJAsMom35

Asked by BJAsMom35 at 9:12 PM on Oct. 26, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i dont believe picky eaters are made. i believe most kids go through this phase and grow out of it. my oldest went through it as a toddler, and now will eat whatever you put in front of her. my middle ate anything in her first year, and now as a toddler is also going through the phase. my baby is in the eat whatever at her age but im sure she will go through it too. all of them are always offered varieties of food. it is most likely a phase, and he will grow out of it with age, when you can reason with him better. offer him a variety of good foods that you know he likes and let him pick and choose which part of it he wants to eat. if he refuses any of it, try again in an hour or if he says he's hungry sooner. like the doctor said, just be consistent and keep trying. he will grow out of it. good luck mama
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:15 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• let me re-phrase, i dont believe ALL picky eaters are made. some, yes.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:16 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Same here!!! My son is 21 months but he is not a good eater. He isn't necessarily picky but he just doesn't want to eat. He also has always been underweight.
    For him I just try different varieties of food, constantly changing and adjusting to his likes.
    For him he doesnt like meat--only chicken or fish or tofu. So i do those but i try not to repeat the same preparation.
    Also I am constantly chasing him around while he is playing and getting him to take bites.
    I thought this may be why he doesnt eat a full meal so i stopped, but he instead just wouldn't eat. Then get really fussy because he was starving ( not literally haha)

So it takes lots of patience and special attention. For the weight I started putting heavy cream in his eggs and milk. It helped w some extra calories.
    sassy_brizzy

Answer by sassy_brizzy at 9:17 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Yes, I have the exact same problem! He won't eat any meat! The only thing he will eat is little bites of chicken nuggets. He wakes up at night crying and I know he's hungry. I have found that he will eat cocoa wheats 80% of the time. So I make a half portion before his bed time and that has helped. He drinks nothing but vitamin D milk, but I limit his drink intake in hopes of him eating more. I give him his milk with Ovaltine in it in the morning for the extra vitamins. I fix well-balanced meals, but I have found that the times we have eaten pizza or fast food, he will eat almost a whole piece of pizza and eat all of small fries! So obviously I can't have him on a pizza french fry diet. I think what makes this the most frustrating is that he was an awesome baby food eater. He loved veggies more than fruit and ate lots of them, I couldn't get him to eat a veggie for nothing now! Thanks for the words of encouragement
    BJAsMom35

Comment by BJAsMom35 (original poster) at 9:26 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Same problem here! I give my daughter a supplement drink for a midmorning snack and try to limit junk in between meals. Make sure he gets enough fluids, but no soda or other stuff like that. I do half water, half juice for my daughter, or milk only. All I can say is feed him what he likes, and if it's only nuggets or macaroni and cheese, don't worry. If he's underweight, I would definately give him a meal supplement for and/or with a snack. Think about textures, too. If he won't eat regular veggies, will he eat them if they are pureed? Do what you have to do!
    HeatheranninSP

Answer by HeatheranninSP at 10:08 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Honestly, this is why I'm a huge believer in breastfeeding through the second year. Because this is VERY normal behavior for a one year old. My son was such a great eater at 12 months, when he weaned (I was pregnant). A few months later, hardly anything. Just make sure you ONLY have healthy options for eating. That's all you can do. =) www.wholesometoddlerfoods.com has great resources on making healthy toddler friendly foods.
    lifetimelove

Answer by lifetimelove at 12:05 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I had the same problem I would just ask him what he wanted? Thats what we do now he will grow out of the picky and later you can sit him at the table till he eats. But get him back up to weight and make sure you still try giving him something different now and than.
    txlady06

Answer by txlady06 at 1:01 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• My two year old can be very fussy about eating. Our rules here is first we sit at the table when eating, second no tv while eating (small apartment so table is part of living room) and third you have to atleast try a bite. Quite often my daughter will just look at her plate and say no I don;t like it without even knowing what it is. I tell her try just one bite and that works. If she really won't eat after awhile i let her go, but don;t give her other options. My husbands says it best, children won't starve, when they are hungry they will come back. Then you give them the same plate they ignored. They will eat. Also, my daughter loves running into the kitchen to see what I am making and I will give her bits and pieces. This way she knows there is something she like on the plate. This is how we found she hates tomatoes, but loves raw onions. Hope it helps.
    DYNARAH

Answer by DYNARAH at 2:12 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• same exact problem. she eats what she likes but anything new that is introduced its like one bite and nothing. and she loves to play with her food. she loved to eat as a baby everything. but now she is so active. but i asked the dr and he said they usually graze at this age so giving them smaller meals through out the day might help. fruits are her favorits and little snacks from gerber. she eats better in the morning then at dinner time. but the daycare provider says she eats very well so i am not concerned. but i would say try the grazing. have alittle snacks available. but hang in there its tough but they will grow out of it.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 8:54 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• My dd is 16 months and she is so picky...i try all kinds of food some days she'll eat others days nope...i wish i knew the answer...
    littlekitty2002

Answer by littlekitty2002 at 10:27 AM on Oct. 27, 2010