How soon did your little one sleep at least 6 hours at night?

I have a soon to be 4 month old who is breastfeeding. She doesn't sleep more than 4 hours at a time at night...and actually, that is rare. Her usual is about 2-3 hours throughout the night. We do the ocean white noise in the background and everything. Her bedtime routine is set (which she made, LOL): bath around 8 PM, feeding, then to bed...which she does beautifully. She is ready to get up by 7 AM but if I drag her into bed with me she will usually sleep for another hour. I am used to it at this point...but I have friends that have 1 month olds that sleep longer than her. Am I expecting too much or not enough?

siren77

Asked by siren77 at 9:18 PM on Oct. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son didnt sleep for 6 hrs straight until a year 1/2
    sassy_brizzy

Answer by sassy_brizzy at 9:21 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Every baby is different, with different needs. Mine slept through the night three times around two months old, and now, at five months, he wakes up every HOUR. He is teething, and he has eczema, so that is the reason. Babies usually have a reason for waking. And some breastfed babies actually are hungry after a few hours. So feed her. If hunger is the only problem, she will eventually outgrow it.
    CarriePM

Answer by CarriePM at 9:21 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• My son is 2 now and he started sleeping through the night from 10pm-6am at 8 weeks and has slept like that ever since.. at around 10 months he started passing out at 8pm and sleeping till 7am, and still sleeps in that pattern.
    MamaJasmine

Answer by MamaJasmine at 9:22 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• its because breastmilk is metabolized so fast...all baby's are different....mine is not breastfed, ut she started sleeping longer than 5 or 6 hrs at 8 weeks when i switched her into her crib in her own room...is she in complete darkness? with the door shut all the way? far enough away from you and Dad (if hes around) to not hear anything like snoring or rustling of blankets?
    mamagee1218

Answer by mamagee1218 at 9:25 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Makes you frustrated when people with babies say.....Oh mine sleeps 6 to 8 hours at early ages. I have a 12 month old who sometimes finally goes 6-8 hours, but ocassionally wakes 4-5 hours after laying down. I have started to decrease his formula if he wakes up early like that. I have a 25 month old who still doesn't sleep through the night either. I know when mine were both 4 months they were up every 3-4 hours still. I have't had a solid 5 hour stretch of sleep for over 2 years now. Good luck!!!!!
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:25 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• My oldest didn't sleep through the night until he was 4 years old.
    My youngest, began sleeping from 10pm to 5:30 am when he was 5 weeks old. I must admit, it scared the tar out of me. I called my mom and she said that both my sister and I started sleeping through the night when we were about 5-6 weeks old as well.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:27 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• When we put our daughter in her crib in her own room around 5 weeks. She is sleeps 6-7 hours almost every night....knock on wood. She is almost 7 weeks now. Our son is now 3 1/2....didn't sleep that long until he was 9 months old.
    BWIND

Answer by BWIND at 9:28 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• My 3 1/2 month old now sleeps 9-10 hours/night. She started sleeping 6 hours around 2 weeks old. All 5 of mine have slept at least 8 hours by 2 months of age, in their own crib in their own room and I breastfed.

Answer by missanc at 9:43 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• My dd started sleeping for 6 hours at a stretch at around 4 months, and she's breastfed, too. She has a similar bedtime routine to your dd's, dinner, bath, cuddle time, nurse, bed. Something that helps me to get a little more sleep in is right before I go to bed I go in and get her and nurse her while she sleeps. There are still nights when she only sleeps 2-3 hours at a time, though. I think it's typical during growth spurts, illness, teething, et.c. I'm still pretty lucky if she sleeps 6 hours at a stretch consistently and she's 9 months old now.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 9:43 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• All these comments with babies sleeping the longest....the parents seem to have them in their own room. I don't know if I am ready to put Isabel in her own room :( I like that I am just 4 feet away from her. I wasn't planning on moving her until about 6-7 months....but maybe I should rethink.
    siren77

Comment by siren77 (original poster) at 9:54 PM on Oct. 26, 2010