how do i know if there is something wrong or if my son is just being stubborn?

my 3 year old recently started head start (back in september) when he first started he was happy as can be, first one up in the morning ready to go....over past two weeks its gone from crying histerically when i would drop him off to crying when i picked him up to crying both when i drop him off and when i pick him up. now i cant even get him to get dressed in the morning to go to school and the tears have started at bedtime with "mommy i dont want to go to school"......he used to be a sweet little boy who i called my "easy child" but now seems to have a lot of tantrums.....is this just a new stage for him or is something seriously wrong??? we have a family advocate through our head start checking into things but havent heard from her! teachers say hes fine once he calms down and does wonderful during the day but when i am dropping him off and picking him up all i see is him hysterical and crying!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:25 PM on Oct. 26, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• To me it sounds like the terriable 2's came a little late lol. But my son is younger so im not sure. I would try calling the family advocate again. Hope things get better I know its hard to see the little one that upset. I know this is going to sound kinda crazy but my mom did it with me...have you tried keeping him home one day to see if it is easier the next day because he wants to play with his friends at school? It worked for me untill i hit about 6th grade lol. Just something to try...but it could backfire...
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 9:30 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Could just be separation anxiety, but it could be something worse. Maybe he is getting picked on him, or the teacher is mean. I say this because I was a happy camper until third grade when I got a b*tch of a teacher who humiliated me daily. I started crying until I puked every morning and didn't stop until they moved me out of her class. Try to talk to him and get to the heart of it. He may just miss mommy and feels anxious about growing up.
    CarriePM

Answer by CarriePM at 9:36 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• it sounds like some one is touching your child or some one is picking on your child i think it is time to talk to him or the people who are carring for your child and do it now
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 9:36 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I would also see if you could observe a class. My son just made an offhanded comment the other day so I made a point to spend the day in his class. His teachers had no problem with that, they love volunteers.
    sandbuster

Answer by sandbuster at 10:57 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• As a preschool teacher...it sounds like he is being stubborn. A lot of kids cry in the morning and when being picked up. He needs atleast a month to get used to the routine, being away from mom and not having the undivided attention of an adult. If you can observe the class without him seeing you or knowing you are there, do so because there is always the possibility that something is going on. Call the Family Advocate again to see what is going on...call daily if that is what it takes to get in touch with her.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:01 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Ask him why he doesn't want to go to school. Pop in unannounced for a visit to the classroom. Do talk with the family advisor again.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 8:31 AM on Oct. 27, 2010