Looking at the world today, do you think that it's possible for it to end up being in a similar state as the world in George Orwell's "1984"?

This is the only category I could think of to put this in, even though it's not quite politics or current events, this seems to be the best fit.

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 9:25 PM on Oct. 26, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• There are SO MANY particulars in that dystopia - the opposite of utopia - which are already accepted in our society or which our society is being pressured to accept.

We Conservatives are just too dumb, that's why we resist or oppose Big Brother's ideas "for the greater good" ... oh, wait - we are also "hateful" or "racist". That was why we objected to the Health Care bill and Cap & Trade, and the stimulus slush funds, and the crazy bailouts and gov't take-overs.

(Nothing to do with corruption or the fact that they were breaking the restrictions on gov't power in the Constitution ! )

I am SO glad that y'all are reading this book ... I have been flabbergasted to see how frequently the media and even CafeMoms actually cite "the greater good" as if it is a legitimate favorable argument for ANYTHING, let alone for the coercive invasions of people's rights being rationalized with it.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 6:49 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• No I do not. But, I do love that book!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:27 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Nothing would surprise me. But I honestly think once government gets to that level of paranoia and control, they will simply self destruct - or at the very least destroy each other...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:28 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I think we're on a road that will be a cross between "1984" and "Brave New World". Scary books, both of them.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 11:15 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I think it's far more likely we're all going to end up on the pool deck in Wall-E
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:16 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I read it in middle school... Honestly, it's not something I think I would enjoy now, but back then it was right up my alley!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:31 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• lol My English teacher thinks so. I don't though....well...actually, I dunno. Anything is possible.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 9:32 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I sure hope not!
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 9:32 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I hope not. Anything is possible though.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 9:45 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• You mean it isn't already? Then who is that looking through my TV set anyway? Happen to have a Victory cigarette on you?
    donnareedonLSD

Answer by donnareedonLSD at 9:46 PM on Oct. 26, 2010