Prego and bi-polar

I need to know if anyone else is dealing with this and if you found anything helpful? I am bi-polar and have come off my meds to get pregnant (and now am 6 weeks along, hooray!) most the meds carry risks to the baby, so I would rather do without. I am not handling things as well as I would like (or did with my first) and feel like I may have made a mistake. I have a toddler right now(who i also came off my meds to have) and I feel very guilty when she sees me upset (i try to hide it the best i can) How am I gonna make it another 9 months? ANY advise? I feel like the worst mom and wife in the world:(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:45 PM on Oct. 26, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I am 37 weeks pregnant and I havent been taking my meds for a while now. I found keeping a journal and actually talking about what is going on helps so much. I write in my journal a couple times a day, and I have never been one to keep one. But my mom suggested it(who is also bi polar) and it really does help. But if that doesnt seem to be working talk to your doctors there are meds out there that are not as big of a risk as some of the others.
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 12:56 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I'm 33 weeks and BiPolar. This is my third baby. Now, the thing is this... While the meds DO carry risks, going without them can carry more risks including Psychosis and Depression deep enough to be deadly for both of you... Work with your doctors, be 100% open with them and let them know what you are dealing with. Keep a journal if you don't already about your emotions and how you're feeling... If it comes down to medicating, do it! I was determined to go through my pregnancy without meds, and my first pregnancy went okay, but the PPD was so sever it reached danger zones... With this one, we are working with the doctors to safely control my BPD BEFORE I have to worry about things like PPD and PPP.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:50 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Thank you sooooo much for some feed back. There is some comfort in not being alone:)
    scanamey77

Answer by scanamey77 at 1:41 PM on Oct. 27, 2010