When do I start to worry that my son can't hold his pee at night?

We have been trying to get our 6 year old son Luke to not wet at night. We've tried withholding liquid after supper, getting him up to pee in the night (which is a huge battle), and making sure that he goes before bedtime. He is cranky about it, and has been using overnights for a while now. Within the last week, we ran out and I told him that I wasn't gonna buy any more, but I've already had to change the bedding 3 of the last 5 nights. Hubby thinks that we shouldn't have to get him up, that his body should be able to figure it out. I'm currently getting up bi-nightly because I'm expecting and having my own potty breaks. Luke sleeps in the same room with his little brother, so if we use one of those alarms, it'll wake up Wesley, too. Do I need to be worried? Will he eventually get it on his own? I don't need this stress now as I've got other worries with a rough pregnancy. Should we go back to overnight pullups?

HopetheKitty

Asked by HopetheKitty at 9:45 PM on Oct. 26, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• He is still young enough that it should resolve on its own. Don't let him drink 2-3 hours before bed-time, but make sure he is drinking lots of water the rest of the time, especially in the morning, so that he does not become dehydrated. Cutting out caffeine may also help - so no colas, mountain dew or other caffeinated beverages and limited chocolate, especially in the second half of the day. Let him use the pull-ups until he doesn't need them anymore and/or get a plastic sheet to cut down on the amount of cleaning you need to do. Good luck.
    Allaye

Answer by Allaye at 1:01 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I would stick with the overnites for now- but mention it to the doc. I would think his body would wake him- is he a deep sleeper??
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 9:48 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I wouldn't worry yet, but you could mention it to his DR. for future reference. His bladder probably hasn't caught up with his growth yet and alot of times they are very heavy sleepers. Over nights are the best thing for now and I would not make him feel ashamed, he probably feels bad enough on his own. Along with all of the steps you're already taking, we also use to set an alarm clock, so we would get our DS up for 3am, to try and help him have dry nights. We always made sure to praise him when he did have a dry night and eventually they became more frequent and finally permanent.
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 10:04 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I have a daughter who is a "deep sleeper' who just turned 10. I have friend with a 12 year old one. They vary. I have tried meds and waking her up halfway through the night. Neither seemed to work with her though. Good Luck!!!!
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 10:07 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I would not worry yet, although I would watch him. Does he pee a lot during the day? My DS was about 4 and he was wetting the bed everynight. At his check up I talked to the DR about it and she sent him to a specialist. The tip of his penis was not open enough so he had a hard time peeing. He would go a lot during the day, and would still be soaked at night. In the end he needed surgery, and after that he was fine.
    My other son wets when he grows. His bladder does not grow as fast as the rest of him so everytime he has a growth spurt he will wet the bed for a couple of nights.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 10:10 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• My 7yo also has had meds, frequent bathroom breaks (I have to get her up alarms don't wake her), no water at night, blah blah blah. She wets almost every night. It is rare if she wakes up dry. I have given up and just given her back the pull ups, its cheaper than washing laundry all the time.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 10:19 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Some kids are just deep sleepers, there bladder is immature. My daughter wet at night until she was 6. Her ped. said they dont really worry about it until they are 7 or 8 as bladders are still growing etc. I would get a plastic mattress cover, give the child some pullups and take him to the doctor. You mentioned you were expecting. How does your son feel about another baby coming into your life. Perhaps he's stressed about this. Stress in another factor of bed wetting.........good luck momma ;)
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 11:18 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Somtimes it takes some kids longer to be able to control their bladder at night. I would have him use pullups for the time being.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 11:29 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I would let him wear the overnights and I would talk to his doctor about what she thinks. I have known adults that had an issue because they have bladder problems and they have had them their entire life.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 1:39 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• it may take a while, but i would also suggest talking with the DR about it... my girls are 2 and 3 and have no night time issues.
    asil

Answer by asil at 11:14 PM on Oct. 31, 2010