Anyone have a child with Apraxia?

I thought my son had an expressive language delay. He's been in speech therapy for almost a year. We just changed therapists, and this new lady believes that he may have a more severe disorder called Apraxia. It's basically a motor control problem, where he is having difficulties making the sounds necessary for speech. Right now he gets therapy one hour a week, but she thinks it will take a lot more to overcome his problem. We don't have health insurance, so I am trying to apply for Social Security Disability for him to be able to afford the more expensive therapy. Anyone else out there dealing with this kind of problem?

my2.5boys

Asked by my2.5boys at 10:51 AM on Oct. 30, 2008 in Kids' Health

• Just a little more info on my son. He's almost 3. He talks in complete sentences and has a great understanding of language, grammar and syntax. The problem is he speaks in all vowel sounds. He uses the correct vowels, and the correct number of syllables, but omits all consonant sounds. He can make all the consonant sounds individually, but wont incorporate them into his speech. I think it's because he can't blend the sounds together.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 10:53 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• My 4 year old son is the same way. He's been getting speech therapy since he was 2, and the only therapist who mentioned Apraxia was his last one. He also omits consonants, but not all of them. He can make the "b" sound and a few others, but often leaves off the first consonant in a word. Like your son, he speaks in complete sentances (even if they are hard to understand) and uses the correct number of syllables. We just moved to NY and it's taken me 3 months to go through all of the testing and evaluations here. He's been without speech therapy since May! I finally got word yesterday that he will get his speech therapy starting next week... for only one hour a week! I feel he needs more than that. Also, I've applied for SSI/Disablity and am waiting to hear on that as well.
    I know what you're going through! Good luck!
    CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 11:00 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• P.S. -- It's my understanding that when a child turns 3, they are eligible for speech therapy through the public school system. It doesn't matter if you have insurance or not. I'm not sure where you live, but it's worth checking into.
    CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 11:05 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Thanks CookieMom. It takes so long to get them the help they need, and it can be so frustrating at times. It's nice to know I'm not alone.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 11:06 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Actually he's going to be transitioning into the school system in Jan when he turns 3, but I'm not sure yet if they will increase the amount of therapy he will be getting. He has another eval. on Dec. 8, so we'll see how that goes. His therapist suggested that I still apply for the SSI because I could still supplement the school therapy.

On a side note, I had Apraxia when I was little, and received all my therapy through the school. It took seven years, but I was able to overcome it, and most people who talk to me now would never know that I had problems early on. I wasn't omitting sounds though, I was mixing up sounds, so when I talked it was like jibberish coming out. Not even my mom could understand me.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 11:10 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• My little boy has always only gotten only 1 hour per week, since age 2. From ages 2-3, it was through Early Steps and the therapist came to my home. At age 3 it was through the school district and again, only one hour per week. Now I'm finding out he will still only get one hour per week here in NY (it will be at my house until I enroll him in Pre-K). I begged for at least 2 hours per week, but was told no even though the therapists all agree with me. I'm with you, I know he needs more and that's also why I've applied for SSI/Disability for him. We just can't afford it on our own.
    I wanted to suggest a great website. Starfall.com. It teaches them how to sound out their letters and make words. Let me know if you try it!
    CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 3:13 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• that sounds just like my daughter. I am taking her to the ped. in a couple of weeks and I'll mention this to him. hopefully he listens.
    litlsuzzy

Answer by litlsuzzy at 11:35 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• How old is your son?? My son is just turning three and all his services will be provided by the school. Or you need is a prescription from your dr. If your son is receiving services already it shouldn't be hard. My son is 3 and is being diagnosed apraxic. It a scary thing but at least you know what it is. My son has been receiving speech since January and he has gone from maybe 5 - 10 words ... to almost 100. If you have any questions you can contact me.
    christinemm25

Answer by christinemm25 at 3:10 AM on Oct. 30, 2009