I am dating someone for the first time since my divorce. My daughter who is 4 has never really had to share me since her father and I have been separated for most of her life. How do I make her understand that my boyfriend is not going to take me away from her and that I have time and love enough for both of them?

jodybe

Asked by jodybe at 10:31 PM on Jul. 3, 2008 in Relationships

• I think just sitting down and explaining to her that no one will ever take her Daddy's place and no one will ever take her Mommy from her. . And be sure to include her in some things you and your boyfriend do, it will allow them to get to know each other and get her to be more comfortable around him. . And definitely make a few nights a week where it is just the two of you doing something fun and special, that will let her know that she won't be pushed aside for this new guy in Mommy's life. . Good luck hun & kudos for dating again!
    Babs310

Answer by Babs310 at 11:09 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• I've never dealt with this personally, but I would reassure her constantly and don't wait for her to question how much she's loved. Reassure her when she leasts expects it. And what Babs said... give the new guy and your daughter time to click.
    erica0425

Answer by erica0425 at 12:19 AM on Jul. 4, 2008

• gonna have to show her...my sis has new man in her life=while hubby is out of pic= and my niece hates him says her mommy loves him more..just prove to her by doing things together she'll come around
    unhappymomma

Answer by unhappymomma at 8:13 AM on Jul. 4, 2008