Any advice for this mom to be that you wish you had?

way2cute

Asked by way2cute at 10:10 PM on Oct. 26, 2010 in Pregnancy

• never send your child to bed with a cup or bottle. Its hard to break. Avoid a pasi if you can its another thing hard to break them of. If you cant breast feed dont worry formula wont kill them. Keep them on a schedule it helps a lot. Stock up on diapers and wipes. The boppy pillow is amazing. Bath time is super easy using a sink for the first few months. the tub is just to big and hard to bend down. If i think of anything else ill let you know. Congrats on the baby to come!
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 10:16 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Don't listen to people who try to scare you. Tune out any and all horror stories. You're going to be great, and FINALLY holding your baby is going to be the best feeling in the entire world.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:14 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I thought The Stir had a nice video on this subject the other day. Generally I would say you're stronger than you think, no one really knows what they're doing and everyone makes mistakes (so forgive yourself when you do), meet other moms (I wish I had done this sooner), and it's ok to take time for yourself sometimes (you'll be a better parent and won't burn out as much), and if someone offers you help especially in the newborn stage, TAKE IT (I had a hard time letting stuff go, so I had to work on accepting help at first). Good luck!

What Would You Tell Your Pre Baby Self
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 10:18 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Also, if you receive conflicting advice, the right answer is usually what is right for YOU and your family. There are a lot of different parenting styles, preferences, and kids' personalities out there. The only stuff that really has black and white answers are a few safety issues, other than that you just figure out what works for you and your child.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 10:21 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• RELAX! Everythings going to be fine, and having a new baby doesn't have to be hard. Don't let people scare you, or intimidate you! It's a very natural thing, and you'll know what to do when the time comes. Take the help people offer whenever you can; it can be hard to let go of any aspect of your little one, but the rest will do you so much good. And yes, watch the baby for a few minutes while he or she sleeps, before you conk out... the time will come that you'll wish they still slept that much!!! Bouncy seats are wonderful, NO you can't spoil a new baby by holding them too much, and always have some infant gas drops in the house. Congrats!
    KA91

Answer by KA91 at 10:33 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• the first couple weeks post partum you will sweat through the sheets at night. I mean gross soaking sweat.

Put a plastic mattress cover on your bed.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:50 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Mine would be this: 1)YOU know your baby, you know what it needs and how to fix it (sometimes)! 2)Very few things will go as you have planned. 3) If you are nursing, people will point out that they would like to feed the baby and that it's ok that you are the only one that can. 4) You are not a bad mother if you think of yourself sometimes and yes, the guilty feeling is normal and will not go away.

=) Congrats!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 12:11 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• enjoy every moment you go threw...everything will be fine and the best of luck in the world mama...
    iNk-FrEaK

Answer by iNk-FrEaK at 12:52 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• stock up on larger bras i prefer sports bras myself and plenty of breast pads you can sometimes leak before delivery
    405mom

Answer by 405mom at 1:26 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• If you are breastfeeding, some people (for example MIL's) won't understand how often you need to feed your baby. Don't stress about it, it is your baby, and you know what to do. Ignore ignorant people, who think "I didn't do that when raising my kids and they turned out fine." Everyone is different and how you want to raise your child is your choice.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 11:29 AM on Oct. 27, 2010