How can i tell if my 4 month old is teething and not just a fussy crybaby?

JoAnna G.

Asked by JoAnna G. at 10:14 PM on Oct. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I never knew when mine were teething because they were always fussy. Has this just started? I think by 4 months a temperament should be known. If it's unusual I'd say it's teething.
    Isaidit

Answer by Isaidit at 10:16 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• You should rub your finger along his gums and if he has teeth trying to come in you will defiantly feel the hard ridges. My daughter started at four months so i wouldn't be surprise if he is. If so go to wal-mart and they have this teether thing thats about 3 dollars and you can put things in the net such as ice cubes and grapes. The baby cant choke on any of it because its in a net. Good Luck
    newmommyjazz

Answer by newmommyjazz at 10:19 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• if you look at their gums it will either be super red because of irratation or more white from the teeth trying to push through. You should also be able to feel it. My son would only be fussy the day that they broke through.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 10:19 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• What are the symptoms of teething?

Irritability - DroolingCoughingBiting & gnawingCheck rubbing and ear pulling

DiarrheaLow-grade feverNot sleeping wellCold symptoms (runny nose, etc.) 

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 11:03 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• You can try rubbing on his gums with your finger. If that makes him less fussy, then he is likely teething. I read on the Best Teether site that teething can start as early as 3 months! You may wanna get some teething toys for him. Or at least put a washcloth on your finger for him to chew on.
    Heather225370

Answer by Heather225370 at 9:35 PM on Mar. 16, 2011