Day 1o of CIO

I'm about to give it up. We started CIO with my 16 month old DD 10 days ago, day1=hours of crying, day=2 same, day=3 better, day 4=30 mins, day 5=11 mins, then day6,7,8,9, and now 10 ....we have been going for hours ... following all of the rules. IS this normal or should we search for another method? We have done the no-cry sleep solution and it worked, but then she caught on and just yelled out the door for 10 days straight. She refuses to go to sleep. Right now she's yelling at me and then she will fall asleep standing up and then wake up. AHHHHHHH has anyone had this probelm and kept going with good results? Should I just give up now? I mean she has basically caught on and she knows I'm going to come check on her so she just keeps yelling at me, not crying just yelling MAMA!

Seriously, don't tell me how traumatized my child is ...

kaylan010

Asked by kaylan010 at 10:29 PM on Oct. 26, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Crying will not hurt her. IMO, let her CIO and don't keep going into her room. She's obviously at the age where it's more of a power struggle than anything and she's winning! Good luck Mama!!
    mommy2mason529

Answer by mommy2mason529 at 10:23 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I think you just answered your own question.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:31 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• 10 lol*
    kaylan010

Comment by kaylan010 (original poster) at 10:30 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Well, I don't necessarily believe in practicing CIO, but at the same time, I'm not sure what advice to give. Here's a bump!
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:31 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Go in there and calm her down, but DO NOT pick her up.
    nsrush83

Answer by nsrush83 at 10:58 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Check out the Sleep Lady (Good Night, Sleep Tight, I think is the name of the book). It's a more gentle alternative to cry it out. It's not a no-cry solution, but it's not extinction or graduated extinction either (which don't work for every child). I'm not a huge fan of sleep training, but you have to do what you have to do sometime, and we were in that boat. Our daughter has a neurological disorder and SPD, and at 7 months pregnant I needed her to be able to get herself to sleep. It's working very well for us, and she is a very difficult case.
    lifetimelove

Answer by lifetimelove at 12:00 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I did the CIO and i also started what i consider a sleep routine but its not much of a routine because nothing is ever routine in my life. so maybe giving that a try would work. first dinner, then bath then som play time and then warm milk and then i would say its time for nite nite. but remember i did do the cio. if she is not crying and just saying mama then i would keep to it and do not go in. i never went in when i did the cio.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 7:17 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• i did this with my son he never stopped crying he just decreased the time he cry. it went from 10-20 mins to 5-10 he did extremely good until he learned how to climb out :)
    Tiffany_Rivera_

Answer by Tiffany_Rivera_ at 12:22 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• dont give up girl stick to it :) you will feel so much better afterwards. just go somewhere u cant hear her crying if u smoke go out for a cig and then go back in afterwards :)
    Tiffany_Rivera_

Answer by Tiffany_Rivera_ at 12:23 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I usually only let my kids go 10-15 minutes, but when you go in there rub her back, sing to her, read to her whatever, but try not to pick her up. Also if he isn't really crying, but just trying to get attention I might let her go a little longer because it sounds like she is only doing it cause she knows you will come in and if she realises that it is sleep time and will eventually stop. Like the person above me said. Sometimes it is easier if you go somewhere you can not hear her.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 6:35 AM on Oct. 28, 2010