What are some good home remedies for a cold?

I don't want to take medicine because I'm pregnant, so trying to find alternative relieve from this head congestion and slight cough. I've tried non-medicated nasal drops... and a humidifier, but little to no relieve there. Any advice?

xxhazeldovexx

Asked by xxhazeldovexx at 10:29 PM on Oct. 26, 2010 in Health

• Ginger Tea. Add about 1/4 tsp of ginger to hot water and drink it slowly. It does burn a little going down, but it really works.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:30 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I like to drink hot ginger tea, or hot water with lemon and honey.
    AlyssaJones

Answer by AlyssaJones at 10:31 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• best site ever... i use it for me, my husband, kids, and dog.
    www.myhomeremedies.com
    christina110

Answer by christina110 at 10:38 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• You may want to try a waterless vaporizer too. We got one for our son, and it really helps with the stuffiness and cough. Hope you feel better soon!
    tracy0812

Answer by tracy0812 at 6:00 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• The best answer would be homeade chicken noodle soup. Steam
    Momabear455

Answer by Momabear455 at 12:15 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• not sure about the cold but take a spoon full of honey for the cough, works well for my kids.
    Tnamari

Answer by Tnamari at 5:58 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• lol m-ava... when I posted this I actually just sat down to drink some ginger tea. lol. I'm hoping it works, but it's mostly when I lay down it gives me a lot of problems.
    xxhazeldovexx

Comment by xxhazeldovexx (original poster) at 10:41 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• thanx christina110 for the link.. I will try the chicken noodle soup recipe they gave (minus the garlic one because I'm allergic to it, lol). while I take a nice hot bath (steam up the room a bit to loosen mucus), then load my feet with vicks vapor rub, and go to bed with some nice hot tea. etc. If I wake up still sick.. lol, I'm calling the doc.
    xxhazeldovexx

Comment by xxhazeldovexx (original poster) at 10:48 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• egh, I felt better in the morning, but wow did I have a rough night. The chicken noodle soup gave me heart burn and the vicks smell made me nauseous, so ended up having heart burn and getting sick, plus coughing (from the loosening of the mucus).. but yeah, by the end of the second day no real relieve.

So going to call my doctor. Mucus is still clear, so thinking it's probably allergies, so yeah, most of this wont' help anyways, but thanks anyways everyone, lol. Hope nobody else has to, or has gone through a night like I had, lol.
    xxhazeldovexx

Comment by xxhazeldovexx (original poster) at 10:44 PM on Oct. 27, 2010