Age limit on trick or treaters?

Mayor Mark Eckhert of Belleville, Ill., created an ordinance banning high-school teenagers—that is, anyone over the age of 12—from trick-or-treating.
http://shine.yahoo.com/event/momentsofmotherhood/how-old-is-too-old-for-trick-or-treating-2403664/

With a few exceptions such as special needs kids/adults who will never mature beyond childhood, etc; I think it would be a good idea. Last year while taking my 2yr old & 4yr old daughters trick or treating we saw several teenage girls who looked more like nasty, skanky strippers & prostitutes. I was really appalled & disgusted that my children saw that trash (YES I said TRASH). I don't live in the city, nor did we go to the city to trick or treat. We live in a rural area. Even some of the "moms" w/ small kids were dressed like trash; what kind of example does that set? There's a time to dress up in sexy attire, trick or treating w/ kids isn't one of them.

eblstanford

Asked by eblstanford at 10:31 PM on Oct. 26, 2010 in Holidays

• we have the 12 and under law here too and it can actually result in a fine if they are caught. This is our first year here so I'm not sure how well it is enforced or followed.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 10:37 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• My 13 yr old daughter is going with us trick or treating. This is the last year she's doing it though. My younger girls are 4 & 5. Since she will be with us I don't see it as a problem. I hate seeing large groups of teens just running around doing it though. I wouldn't let her just go out running around with other kids her age by herself on Halloween. I dont let her do that anyway so why would I on Halloween?

She's going to be wearing a costume & a scary mask (used to be her brother's costume) The most dressing up I personally do is wear a Happy Halloween t- shirt & my candy corn hat (yeah, I'm a dork lol)
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 10:45 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I think its a good idea to ban teens even 12 is a little old IMHO.
    PreemieMom.2009

Answer by PreemieMom.2009 at 10:53 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• By the time I was in highschool we were trick or treating for canned foods to donate during the free Thanksgiving dinner for those less fortunate we held with FFA. I personally hate seeing teens out trick or treating when half the time they're not even in costume or saying thank you.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:02 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• i agree
    san78

Answer by san78 at 7:28 AM on Oct. 27, 2010