Dental

If your 10yr old dentist said she needs to get braces now,what would u do?

tanya120

Asked by tanya120 at 10:48 PM on Oct. 26, 2010 in Health

• Get the free consultation at the orthodontist. Orthodontists know best when braces need to be on.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:53 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I got mine at ten. the younger the better so ur kid doesnt have to wear them for big occasions such as prom, graduation :)
    newmommyjazz

Answer by newmommyjazz at 10:59 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• As a former dental assistant and someone who has personally been thru orthodontics (I had braces--twice) I'd ask my DDS to refer us to an orthodontist and then I would call and set up a consult visit and go from there.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 8:04 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• take her to a orthdonitis not spelled right he or she will be able to decide if she needs them
    stressedoutgran

Answer by stressedoutgran at 12:06 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• My daughter got her teeth braced young to correct a severe overbite. She had to wear an appliance that adjusted the shape of the bones that support/contain her upper teeth. It was miserable for her, but would have been more painful and taken longer if she had waited til her teens.

I was reluctant to agree to this at first (she was only 8 at the time) but a coworker's wife was having similar work done and was really in a lot of pain -- she lost 15 pounds, because she wasn't able to eat well. (older bones)

We had to have a second course of braces for my daughter, to align her molars once they all came in. This, our insurance did not cover.

I think we did the right thing in my daughter's case, but I would advice anyone to see 2 unrelated orthodontists and see if they recommend the same thing. If they differ, I'd see a 3rd. Most give free consults. Then go with the one you (and your child) feel most comfortable with. GL :-)
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 6:54 PM on Oct. 27, 2010