how do you celebrate thanks giving?

ok i am asking because i am not american, we don't celebrate it where i am from. iv lived here for a few years now, but always worked through it, as i have no family here. but this year i have my husband and i want to help celebrate it with him. all i know is you eat alot.

otoole

Asked by otoole at 10:58 PM on Oct. 26, 2010 in Holidays

• Lol if it is just you and your husband, you do not have to cook a huge meal. When it was just me and my husband and our first son, I cooked a roast turkey breast, cornbread dressing (like a stuffing), corn, and green beans. I served that with Brown and Serve Rolls and a pie. That was our Thanksgiving meal. Now, we celebrate with friends. We make a couple of fried turkeys, a big pan of cornbread dressing, green bean casserole, sweet potato casserole, corn, gravy, rolls, mashed potatoes, pecan pie, pumpkin pie, brownies for the kids, and special drinks like punch and spiced apple cider. If you would like any recipes, send me a message :)
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 11:06 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• We make turkey, stuffing, green beans, mashed potatos, gravey, beats and a few other things i only remember when im shopping but before we start eating we go around the table saying what we are thankful for such as our children our friends and family even something little like a good grade in school. For most people it is more about the dinner then anything.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 11:03 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Besides the food, we spend the day together as a family. We might watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade on Tv, my husband watches the football game, and if we have friends over we might play some games. It's just about celebrating and being thankful for what you have, and spending time with family.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 11:07 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Eat too much is pretty much about it.
    I am not American either (originally from Hungary) so it was all new to me, too. We usually cook the traditional goodies, such as turkey with stuffing, pumpkin pie, squash, etc, stuff ourselves until our pants nearly burst at the seams, then transplant to the couch and fall asleep watching football.
    Usually a couple of the kids get to make a wish on the wishbone.
    Then everybody gets sent home with leftovers because we always make way too much food (for some reason, my husband's grandmother feels the need to cook 7 different pies if only 5 adults are coming).
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 11:08 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Why not you and your husband cook together, go shopping for the dinner and maybe invite some friends over to help you
    eat it...this makes good memories and family traditions for the both of you...
    Some of the regular foods cooked (tho you can cook anything you like) Turkey or Ham with mashed potatoes, a veggie or two,
    rolls/biscuits, gravy, sweet potato, pies, cakes, treats of all kinds, toss salads, pasta salads, and prior to all of this, I have served
    veggie trays with dips, meat and cheese tray and a assorted breads and spreads tray...I also like the Turkey breast best and usually
    will make up to 3 of them depending on how many ppl will attend...
    Now since you are not from this country, why not add a dish from your country...

Good Luck and have fun
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 11:13 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• with turkey and all of the trimmings just the three of us.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 11:55 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Thanksgiving is a Holiday for giving Thanks. Regardless of what you're thankful for in your life. You gather friends and family around on Thanksgiving to stuff your face and enjoy one another's company. You can do this traditionally with the Turkey and all the trimmings or in your own way that makes it special to you. My family all gathers together on Thanksgiving, we watch parades on TV, cook dinner together, and even play a few board games. All just conversing and enjoying one another's company. It truely is all about the conversation, giving thanks, and the food.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:09 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• im in england, we dont celebrate it either, but its usually family get together, meal etc
    san78

Answer by san78 at 7:26 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Yes! We eat alot then we eat more after that. :D, Its a good time to get together with family and friends and basically for one day, enjoy each other's company and be grateful for what the Lord has blessed us with.
    CCMami

Answer by CCMami at 8:46 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• For us, it is more about the being thankful rather than the eating. We do turkey and all the trimmings, but we are together as a family. We have a fire going, football on for the guys etc. We enjoy the company of one another, thankful that we are all together and healthy. It is celebration of life and family. As the Pilgrims and the Native Americans put aside differences for the help of one anothers survival and celebrated a harvest, and the fact that they survived in a new strange land...this is what we remember. President Lincoln made Thanks Giving a National Holiday...a man before his time. It is my favorite holiday by far! Google Thanks Giving if you need menue ideas etc.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:07 PM on Oct. 27, 2010