What is the best/fastest way to stop producing breast milk?

Every time my daughter drinks breast milk she has lots of painful gas.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:02 PM on Oct. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Stop eating gassy foods and she will stop the gas.

Or, stop one feeding a day until you are done.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:05 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Just stop breast feeding or pumping. It will dry up and fast. And go over to formula.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 11:05 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• What kind of foods are you eating? What you eat gets passed to her through your milk.
    LuvBug3

Answer by LuvBug3 at 11:06 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• @Shelii: That is horrible advice. Most of the time stopping cold turkey result in painful breasts and engorgement among other things.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:07 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Your comment does not really match up with your question. The best way to stop producing breast milk is to stop feeding....but if you dd has gas, that is a different issue, and not caused by breast milk alone. Lots of formula fed babies have bad gas, in fact gas is really common and is worst between 6-8 weeks. The BEST thing to do for gas is burp your baby. Learn more than one way to burp them and do it every time she eats, even before she eats so that any air she swallowed before she eats is not pushed down by the food. Babies have gas to help them push out poop since they don't have the muscle coordination to do it. You can do other things for her gas too, like push her legs up into her tummy, or do like a bicycle with her legs while she is on her back. Good luck, it is really hard to watch them suffer over gas!!
    christinab313

Answer by christinab313 at 11:09 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Oh, and previous advice is wrong- gas is not passed from your food to the milk. It is undigestible fibers that cause us gas, and they DO NOT get into your blood, through your body and into your milk, they stay in your intestines and give you gas. The baby never gets those.
    christinab313

Answer by christinab313 at 11:12 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Most likely the bad gas is caused by something you are eating or drinking. Whenever I would eat chocolate my son would get really gassy so I had to be careful. It is VERY VERY rare for a baby to have problems with breastmilk digestion, and usually formula carries more risk of gas, constipation, and upset tummys. If you want to stop breastfeeding however, you just need to start slowly subsituting a nursing for a bottle. Do this very very slowly so that your baby can adjust and that you don't get engorged. However this problem can be easily fixed if you can pin point the foods that are causing the gas and avoid them.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:14 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Babies are gassy, there's not much you can do about that. They have immature digestive systems. It's not the breastmilk causing your baby to be gassy. I can guarantee you if you switch to formula, you'll still have a gassy baby, and possibly a constipated one as well. Now, if the gas is painful, and your baby chokes and pulls off while nursing, then you might be dealing with overactive letdown. go to kellymom.com and put overactive letdown in the search.

There's no real great way to dry up quickly. Weaning cold turkey without pumping will cause breast infections. You should only drop one session per week. Putting cold cabbage leaves in your bra can help with engorgement pain and help dry up. Going on estrogen birth control will almost certainly kill supply. But I don't see why you NEED to dry up quickly, just adjust your perceptions a bit.
    lifetimelove

Answer by lifetimelove at 11:53 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:07 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I had to stop drinking milk. when I drank milk it made my daughter hurt really bad.
    bunnywzrd

Answer by bunnywzrd at 12:13 AM on Oct. 27, 2010