How do you hold a pencil/pen?

I hold mine with my thumb, index and middle finger and it all rests on my ring finger. Sounds confusing so I will post a pic (not of me, but I was curious to see if it was common so I looked it up)

BridgetC140

Asked by BridgetC140 at 11:15 PM on Oct. 26, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Fig. 2--Two-fingers-on-top position

BridgetC140

Comment by BridgetC140 (original poster) at 11:15 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• My ring finder is not involved at all with the way that I hold a pencil. I hold it with my thumb, pointer and middle finger. It rests on my middle finger and then held in place with my other two.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 11:56 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Mine rest on the middle finger
    bucky77

Answer by bucky77 at 2:46 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I think more like Melbornj... but my ring and pinky curl in, like a first. I hold the pen with my thumb and first finger, the pen rests on the middle finger. I also have to have the paper slanted to the left! It's very hard for me to sign on those credit card machines. LOL
    Who knew it could all be so confusing! lol
    mom2maddie06

Answer by mom2maddie06 at 3:07 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I rest the pen on my middle finger.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 8:01 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I'm like you but my thumb is scrunched up on the pen,not straight

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:49 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• When I was little I did this...but they taught me it was "wrong" and made me learn different.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:51 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• butterflyblue....that wasn't my pic. My thumb actually points up, not straight................now that I think about it. and practice with my pen...lol...............my thumb helps hold the pen in place but takes no part in the writing process. My thumb actually covers the nail of my index finger. I guess we are weirdos alike! lol
    BridgetC140

Comment by BridgetC140 (original poster) at 1:52 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• Salexander...............I can't believe that no one ever told me it was wrong.............since it does look quite awkward. I guess they figured that since I had nice penmanship.....why mess with a good thing? My daughter seems to be left handed and at first my in-laws were trying to redirect her................I told them to let her do what is natural to HER. I can't imagine writing like most do. I feel like I wouldn't have any control over the pen. Actually, I just tried and honestly it doesn't look that bad....but stiff and jagged and definitely uncomfortable. I bet people see my write and think "huh?" lol
    BridgetC140

Comment by BridgetC140 (original poster) at 2:00 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• View Image  Like this.

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 9:18 AM on Oct. 28, 2010