Cellphones

At what age schould a child get a cellphone. Why?

tanya120

Asked by tanya120 at 11:16 PM on Oct. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would say around the teenage years. I know that is pretty opened. But more when they are going to school and have to stay after often for class projects, sports and things like that.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 11:57 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• A child should only have a cell phone if they are frequently away from home, they have many acitivities outside of the home, they have friends that live throughout the town, go out with friends frequently, etc. No child should have a cell phone just because. I don't think there's a point in that. The point of a cell phone is to contact someone else while away from a landline. Like if they have to stay late somewhere, if they're going to a friend's house after school, if they have a sports acitvity or club away from home. Things that require a mobile device that they can use to contact a parent or friend. If a child just goes home to school, even if it's a friend's house now and then there's no point in them having a cell phone. They have landlines to use. But if an active child is all over the place they'll need a ready device to call home.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:03 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I agree with jazzlikemraz. My son is 15 and always around friends who have cellphones so he can use their phone. I also think it depends on if they are responsable enough to have one. My son is and we decided that is he can get through his freshman years with no hiccups and good grades then we would get it for him at end of year. BUT it will be a prepaid phone for a year or two.
    bestmomever333

Answer by bestmomever333 at 12:26 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• When they can work and pay for it themselves hell when i was a teen and wanted a pager i had to get a job to pay my bill
    405mom

Answer by 405mom at 1:17 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I think it depends on the kid, but after they turn 15 or 16
    mom2queenie2004

Answer by mom2queenie2004 at 10:31 AM on Oct. 27, 2010