Does it bother you. . .

When a friend or family or what-have-you decides to play pretend with religion. I am a practitioner of the old ways. . . not truly Wiccan, what I do/believe is older than that. Anyhow. . .as it is someone near to me has decided to claim to be of Wicca(n) faith in a group of underdeveloped idiotic teens. . . Obviously not truly knowing what they are doing. . . in the way many teens get into pagan religions-- as a passing fad. . . almost an insult to my faith. . . Does it bother you when people do this? I can't say it really bothers me but it hurts. . . like a stab. . . especially when it is looked upon to me like I don't know what I am talking about. . . *sigh*

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:17 PM on Oct. 26, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think I see what you are saying. And, while I've never dealt with that personally, I can see where it would be a stab,and I can't blame you for feeling that way. I guess the closest I've come is when someone goes through the Bible, not to learn what God says, or what Jesus did for us, but simply to try and disprove it, and twist and pervert it, into something it's not and never would be. That's what really hurts me.
    jaycietaylorgma

Answer by jaycietaylorgma at 11:19 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• In the case of the experimenting teenager, no. There's a reason they call it a path, and for most "mature" practitioners of any faith they weren't born to, they had to start somewhere. If that means shopping at Hot Topic and watching The Craft over and over again, it's a beginning. Those who are really interested will research more, if for no other reason than to not humiliate themselves when other people ask questions and they can't answer them.

What bothers me is adults who have built businesses out of selling the brand of the alternative religion, whether it's a certain book writing "wiccan" gold digger or a modern primative who sells kids bad generic flash and calls it a spiritual, unique tattoo. For those people, it's not just perpetuating a fallacy, it's exploitation.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:24 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I can understand you perspective, but idiotic teens do that with all kinds of things!! Haha! Maybe the silver lining is that this person is at least introduced to the faith and it may be inspiration for them to delve deeper into it as they mature. Teens may be crazy, but they are exploring ideas other that what they grew up with and it is a chance for them to see what other people in the world believe.
    christinab313

Answer by christinab313 at 11:24 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• They have to start somewhere. Sad thing is many of our youth start with a bad hollywood movie or show and use only that as a refrence point. Ah yes, if we all had powers like the witches on Charmed or The Craft. When we have newbies in our group we pass on our material and invite them to meetings so they can ask questions. You can remind them that there are really no "set" rules in Paganism. Each of us have our own path. Also not one of us will ever know everything about it. That is it's beauty and a part of the who we are. We all used to "think" we knew more than the elder Pagans. We soon learned to sit at their feet and listen to THEIR experience as opposed to what a book had to say. The younglings will learn soon enough that experience and wisdom are more valuable than store bought goodies.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 11:47 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I can see why it would bother you that because so many people get into your religion like a "fad" others don't take your religion as seriously, but think of the individual who is into it as a "fad" in this light...maybe he or she is really interested in finding his or her path and has decided to explore this one in a way that is comfortable and fun for him/her. He or she may delve deeper into your religion and find a true connection and purpose in it, or he or she may move on to another religion. But at least this individual will be more informed and less judgmental towards those of your religion than before! IMO the issue at hand is not with the people who try out different religions, fad or not, but the ones who know nothing about your religion and judge it as a fad regardless.
    ohbladi

Answer by ohbladi at 11:50 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I would let her make her own journey, stumbles and all... but let her know that you are there to help guide her
    if she is in need of it....
    Teens think they know it all or know better than their adults... it's frustrating at times, but we have to allow them
    to make their own choices and deal with the out come of those choices, but assure them that we are still there for them...
    But I do understand your frustration in this, it is similar to what I deal with with my sisters, all three of us claim to
    be Wiccan, I am a Wiccan Witch, my sisters claim only Wicca and can not understand why I would place Witch behind
    Wicca, bc to them it is not Witchcraft or Witchcraft is not involved... I explained that not all Wiccans believe or practice the
    same as ea other and they were dumb founded ... oh and they have been practicing longer than I and we are all in our
    40's... so yes it's frustrating at times....
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 12:01 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• yes that is exactly it. . . I don't care that "they" want to be Wiccan. . . but that they are perverting and almost poking fun at my faith. Thank you Jaycietaylorgma.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:21 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I agree with all of the above here. It is just frustrating. Yes, you have to start somewhere. . . it would just help if there weren't some many misleads out there. And those who direct the misleads telling making them disbelieve one who truly practices. If that makes sense.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:31 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• * I have the greatest urge to help her and show her . . . show her the path. . . but she has already pushed me away and denied my abilities like she is the only one in the family who can have them. *and I am married into the fam.* Sigh. . . I just don't know what to do let alone feel. I feel hurt by it but I think it is good for her to explore and find her way on her own. . . it is complicated I guess.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:39 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• huh?
    Anonymous