Feeding 7 month old baby "table foods??"

So DS doesn't like baby food and I was wondering about giving him table food. I have seen a few people on here that say give baby pieces of food of your plate and some had said their LO like BREAD?? TOAST? and other things. I am so paranoid to do this becasue I am worried he will choke. At 7 months what are some foods that are safe for him to feed himself adn how big of pieces do I give him?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:24 PM on Oct. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/babyledweaning.htm

This whole site is awesome and FULL of ideas.

Avocado, baked sweet potatoes and bananas are wonderful foods to give him.

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:26 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Very cooked pasta, eggs, smashed veggies, cheese, mashed potatoes, all in small peices, and make sure they are soft. My rule of thumb is if you can mash it in your own mouth without using teeth it's safe for baby.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:27 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• No, I think it's too early yet. Can you take whatever you guys are eating, and grind it up? Maybe grind it to a thicker consistency than his jar baby food? Although I don't know... both my kids had a strong aversion to textures so we couldn't do table food until about 10-11 months or so.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 11:27 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• My son was the same way. We probably started giving him a few table foods around that age. Anything that doesn't require really any chewing is okay. Actually you can just mash up regular fruits and veggies and try to feed him those. Baby food DOES taste like crap. LOL I don't blame the kids for not liking it.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:28 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• If you are concerned about it, start with things he already eats, but just in soft chunk form, like small pcs of cooked pear, green beans, sw potato. Once you feel comfortable, then go ahead and move onto other things; puffs, toast, or anything soft that you would be able to eat without chewing. Don't worry too much about gagging- that is different than choking and it is part of learning how to move food around the mouth and when to swallow it. Just start with itty bitty pcs and you will be able to advance at his pace. Have fun- its going to get messier for a while!!
    christinab313

Answer by christinab313 at 11:30 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• as long as you give him small bites of foods that can be mashed or swollowed easliy then itshould be safe. peas, potatoes, soft veggies, bananas and such foods
    nanny29

Answer by nanny29 at 11:30 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• My son was eating mashed potatos and oatmeal. green beans over cooked carrots. The only baby food he would not eat was the green beans but there was no harm in feeding him a few things that DH and I ate such as the things I listed. Although I wouldnt start giving him everything that you eat.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 11:30 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• My son grabbed my piece of bread - just plain bread - when he was around seven or eight months old and started chowing down. A few days later, he was poking his fingers in my spaghetti sauce and licking that off his fingers.

As far as the choking, some are just more prone to choking that others. My son never ever choked once as an infant and I fed him soft table food from 8 months on. My daughter gags on something at least once a week and I've fed her the same way as her brother. Really, you watch your child and alter your strategy based on how they handle things. My son could get big-ish chunks of soft food and eat them just fine. Because my daughter is more prone to gagging/choking, I give her MUCH smaller pieces of food.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 11:32 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• My son started self feeding at 7 months. They have a gag reflex - it protects them against choking. just remember, gagging is good. =) Feeding infants purees actually trains away the gag reflex - not a good thing, and where a lot of choking problems come into play. As long as you're not feeding a baby hard chunks of food like apples or nuts, the gag reflex should protect them.
    lifetimelove

Answer by lifetimelove at 11:35 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Hold off of wheat. Soft cooked fruits, veggies, potatoes rice puffs, etc...
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 11:44 PM on Oct. 26, 2010