What is the easiest way to unwind young kids at night, i've tried everything from reading to laying down with them to lavender baths...any ideas?

asher.kaelyn

Asked by asher.kaelyn at 11:57 PM on Oct. 26, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• we put toys away half hour before and do slow paced activity , then bath , then story , then warm milk , then bed
    maymummy

Answer by maymummy at 11:59 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• we always let our almost 4 year old choose a 20 minute cartoon to watch...then it's bedtime with a story for a few minutes. He goes to bed no problem. We've also noticed when he colors, he is much calmer.
    BWIND

Answer by BWIND at 12:01 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I have not tried coloring, my older child who's 5 I've tried the computer so he was sitting still but that didn't work for him. I think coloring might be good, we've done other similar activities like playdough. Thank you.
    asher.kaelyn

Comment by asher.kaelyn (original poster) at 12:02 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• My boys are 15, 12 and 8. The two little ones go into quiet time at 7pm. Here they watch a movie and have snack at 7:30pm and go to bed at 8pm. That has worked for years. I think watching a movie quietly an hour before bed calms their mind and be ready for bed at 8. Try a 1 hour (whenever your child bedtime is)quiet time and be consistant and patient. Kids have to learn the routine like parents do.
    bestmomever333

Answer by bestmomever333 at 12:08 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Any movies you recommend bestmomever333? I've tried all kinds of videos, from disney's latest hits, to their favorite shows dvds like dora, etc.
    asher.kaelyn

Comment by asher.kaelyn (original poster) at 12:18 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• We do the bath time 700p. and then he picks out his jams and gets dressed. than he cleans his room picks out a movie and lays down when the movie is over he has to go to sleep, kisses, hugs, and i loves yous. it works every night but not all kids are the same.
    txlady06

Answer by txlady06 at 12:26 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• we had a schedule. At 8 they had a snack, brushed their teeth, went to the potty and kissed us good oight. They got to sit in thier beds until lights out at 8:30.
    mamak57

Answer by mamak57 at 12:29 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• My kids are older now so they get to choose whatever they want. Lately it's been back to Harry potter. But we used to do disney, Blues clues, cartoon type movies. How long have you been doing movies before bed and is it at the same time and consistant? You just may need more time for your child to get the routine.
    bestmomever333

Answer by bestmomever333 at 12:57 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• my son has had a hard time since he was 3, he'll be 6 in december. My daughter just turned 3 and she started having trouble about 6 months ago. I usually try things for about 4-6 months before trying something else.
    asher.kaelyn

Comment by asher.kaelyn (original poster) at 2:05 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• To help my son calm down I play classical music, some of the slower pieces. TV and computer time can be too much of a stimulant, especially computer. The best thing to do is to follow a bedtime routine. Say, dinner, then playtime/ tv until a certain time. After that, teeth brushed , baths, lights turned down, soft music in the background, reading a book, snuggles, and into bed. Play around with it and see what works. The biggest thing, especially for the younger ones, is to give them cues that it's time to relax.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 8:25 AM on Oct. 27, 2010