School, work, and baby?

For those of you still in college, have to work, and take care of the baby how do you do it? My daughter is a year old now and I have done 2 semesters of college since I had her. I am doing ok with balancing school and taking care of her, although I am taking 3 or 6 more hours Spring semester. I am about to start working again though and I am not sure how I am going to manage all of this!!! Any advice on how to make this work? I really do need to do all three because I am trying to graduate college soon and I need to work because we really cannot manage with just my husband's income but I am worried I will miss so much with my daughter but I am doing this for her!! I will only be working about 20 hours a week. Can anyone give me some advice who has done this? Or opinions even if you haven't had to do this will help too!!!

melissaaytes

Asked by melissaaytes at 12:00 AM on Oct. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• First off, my best wishes go to you. I am a full time, SINGLE mom of 2 girls ages 2years and 9months. I go to school full time, and i work part time, (only on the weekends because of school during the week) if I can do it, SO CAN YOU! You are going to school to better yourself, and make a better life for your child, don't let nothing stop you. It is going to be one hell of a ride, but the best reward in the end. I get SO overwhelmed, but I just take a break and think to myself that this schooling is going to pay off. Make sure you first have a reliable sitter at all times that you need to go to school and work. That's most important. 2nd, no matter how tough it gets, PUSH YOURSELF! I wish you the best of luck, and and congrats on almost being at the end of college!
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 12:05 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I was 16 when I had my first so I did it; school, work, and a baby. to be honest, i got burnt out around my 3rd year of college and quit. but to you i say just think about the finish line. school is only temporary and the rewards for finishing are great.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 12:07 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Thanks a lot! This is the third time I have been in college! I started right outta high school and dropped out and then again Spring of "09 then found out I was pregnant and dropped again, I started back this summer and have been doing really good A's in all classes. I did need to correct that I am not almost done I still have a long way to go sorry it was a little confusing but I do want to graduate as soon as I possibly can! I say third time is the charm and I am extremely determined to make this work and graduate this time!! I am only 23 but I see all my friends that I graduated HS with graduating college already and a few already have 2 degrees so it's a little depressing but I WILL do this for my daughter and for my family!!!
    melissaaytes

Comment by melissaaytes (original poster) at 12:15 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I teach high school during the day, grad school in the evening, and have a 4 year old son. Been doing this for about a year now. My husband is a great help. I could not do it without him. To make dinner easier...I put things in the crockpot in the morning and let it cook all day.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 10:17 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Wow, I haven't been in your shoes but I wish you all the luck in the world. Seek out any resources that school or church may have for you. Take friends and family up on their offers to help out. This will pass and you'll be in a better place soon.

Hang in there!
    DivaDynamite

Answer by DivaDynamite at 12:30 PM on Oct. 27, 2010