Do any of you have a parent or in law living with you? if so, how did that change your marriage?

My mom may be moving in with us and I am not sure how this will affect us. I know privacy is out the window. What other things may change?

way2cute

Asked by way2cute at 12:18 AM on Oct. 27, 2010 in Relationships

• We were lucky when we found out that my father was having major heart surgery, we were able to find a house within blocks of our old house and it has a MIL's apartment. My parents were able to move in, but we still have privacy. My DH has been great about the added work in helping to pick up the slack for my parentsand my boys love having their grandparents so close. It has been good in the fact that we are so close when they have had medical problems and it has actually made me not so stressed, worrying about them. I hope things go as well for you.
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 12:28 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• my grandma has lived with us for 4 years. She gets her time for privacy and we get ours. It is great to have her here for my kids and she helps out when she can.
    SAHM2gabeshelby

Answer by SAHM2gabeshelby at 1:07 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I've had my Dad and my FIL live with us in the past. My Dad moved in first, then out. Then back in and FIL moved in. It sucked. My Dad was hardly ever here, but he didn't help out with any household chores or finances. FIL was the same, but also stayed up my butt 24/7, went against our rules with our kids, didn't clean up after himself, blew smoke in my house, was extremely nosey like watching us while we were on the computer. He also made comments about what I ate, what I watched on tv, what I cooked for dinner, etc. In short, it was a living HELL. The man drove me insane and it was worse because I was pregnant at the time! As for my marriage, it was strained. We argued all the time because neither of us wanted to hurt our Dad's feelings by telling them it was time to move on, so we lashed out at each other.
    Mrs.B3

Answer by Mrs.B3 at 1:16 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I live w/my mum and granted privacy is hard to come by sometimes yet it's very helpful to have her here, she's had 2 kids and is much more experienced in babies and pregnancy. She's been an amazing asset to my comfort and stress level.
    MommyBellz

Answer by MommyBellz at 1:35 AM on Oct. 27, 2010