Should I let My Ten Month Old Cry Himself To Sleep?

I have been told by numerous people that I should let my son cry himself to sleep but I am just not sure... My fiance is worried that he will hurt himself from all the crying and I am leaning more towards letting him cry... people are telling me that if I let him cry himself to sleep he should start sleeping through the night... is this true? As of now he still wakes up 3 to 4 times a night and with another baby on the way I don't know if I will be able to handle getting up with my son and the baby who is due in January. My fiance leaves getting up with the kids to me unfair but true... How can I get my son to sleep through the night before my daughter is born? Also I have a 5 year old who needs sleep for school and we are afraid if we let our son cry that he will wake up our 5 year old. They sleep in separate rooms but our walls are paper thin and you can hear everything no matter what room you are in...

ChristalMiron

Asked by ChristalMiron at 1:05 AM on Oct. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have done it with my little ones. They never hurt themselves. They learned to self soothe. It is a personal decision, there are going to be people that tell you that it is cruel. I see nothing wrong with it. They get used to it a lot faster than you would think and they adjust.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 1:08 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I have never believed in letting a baby cry it out. Its one thing when they are 2 and 3 years old and are throwing a fit because they don't want to go to bed, but at 10 months, he is still a baby. What do you do when he wakes? Is he feeding at any of these times? Babies just don't wake up in the middle of the night cause they feel like it, there's usually a reason or that it has become a routine of some sort. You might just need to change the routine. Like if you get up with him and walk around with him and change his diaper and all that, try just laying in the room with the lights off quietly, and see if he'll go back to sleep. People have different theories about letting a child cry it out but there have been studies that show that prolonged periods of crying in infants, can cause many different brain, neurological, and emotional problems. Its up to you but I have always believed cont...
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 1:10 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• that you should never leave a baby in the room alone, and crying, when the child has no knowledge or capability of understanding WHY you are doing so. All he knows is that he is in his room alone without mommy. Oh and I also wanted to mention that there have been studies that infants up until a certain age, which I don't know that age off-hand, do not have the capability of self-soothing. They stop crying simply because they have given up hope that their cries will be answered.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 1:12 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I just read a pretty good article about "sleep traps" where the baby gets so used to sleeping a certain way like in someones arms or in bed with you that they want to always be put to sleep that way unfortunately i never had that problem with any of my babies so im sorry i cant help... do you subscribe to any parenting magazines some are free like baby talk and american baby
    405mom

Answer by 405mom at 1:12 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I did it with my daughter around 8/9 months. It took about a week. Put him down kisses and love then let him cry for 5 min. If he hasn't stopped go and pick him up and tell him you love him and get him to calm down. Again say goodnight and place him down. If he cries give it 10 min before you go back in there and then keep at 10 min intervals. I never made it past one 10 min cry before she was out and it took a week before she started just going to bed. I agree its a personal choice to make but I too see nothing wrong with it. Obviously you don't want to put him down and just walk away and let him whale. He isn't going to hurt himself from crying. Best of luck!
    randibosin

Answer by randibosin at 1:18 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I personally dont like it. They are programmed to cry for a reason. And when left to cry they feel worthless. Like thier cries are un important enough to even be answered. There is scientific proof that it can actually be damaging to them.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 12:58 PM on Oct. 27, 2010