How do I get my 5 year old on a skedual?

my five year old will blatenly refuse to go to sleep! Strait out tell us no I am not going to bed stop yelling at me? I have tried taking things away it doesn't work nothing seems to work. How do I fix this defiance I am seeing from my son at five years old? He seems to listen to me better when dad isn't home but when dad is home he thinks he can walk all over me and his father and his father used to constantly give in but lately has stopped giving in since this is his first year of school and we are trying to get things in order for our ten month old and for our daughters arrival in January we need some kind of piece of mind back before our daughter is born.

ChristalMiron

Asked by ChristalMiron at 1:14 AM on Oct. 27, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Just be consistent. Sit down and have a conversation with your son about why bedtime is important - how he has to get up in the morning for school at the same time every morning so he has to go to sleep at the same time every night so that he stays healthy and alert - and when bedtime will be. In the evenings at bedtime, calmly state that bedtime is at 7pm(or whenever) and that's it's 7pm so it's time for bed. Be consistent and make sure his dad is consistent too. It will take a while for him to get used to it, but he will as long as you are firm. Maybe try to incorporate something enjoyable into bedtime - for example we read to our daughter every night before bed for a couple minutes and it's actually a routine she looks forward to now. Be patient with him and good luck. :)
    Allaye

Answer by Allaye at 1:26 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Put his butt in bed and wake him up in the morning at the time he needs to. He may not want to go but if he is in bed at the same time each night he will start to fall asleep earlier and earlier. Make sure there is a routine beforehand like a bath, pjs then a book or something like that. If my 5 year old doesn't want to go to bed then I pick her up and put her in bed, if she gets up I put her right back in bed. They soon realize that you are not playing around and will stay there.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 1:27 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• We used a chart for our kid, she really likes to be responsible and follow her schedule.

It is the chart that has Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Daily

Daily is where you would put the basic routine Eat breakfast, brush teeth, get dressed, get backpack and go to school, back home, homework, dinner, read, playtime.

Eventually they will get on track by themselves and will only need a few reminders.
    Don't forget rewards!!
    Stickers or a treat also if you get a magnet or a dry erase marker to mark what they have done after each task it makes it fun for them.
    Andriya

Answer by Andriya at 1:48 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Can you start something like bath/shower, snack, teeth brushing, you read a few books and then let him lay in bed and read a few books to himself? It worked for my daughter for the most part. Sometimes, she does not feel like reading and she will get out of bed and I don't push those nights, I just go back in with her and I read more.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 1:35 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• make a routine and stick with it... if he tells you no, that's fine... let him stay up, but IN bed, IN his room, in the dark (or with a night light)... don't let him get up a bunch of times, etc. i say put hiim to bed and let that be that... if he sleeps or not will eventually work itself out... especially when getting up early for school.
    asil

Answer by asil at 11:11 PM on Oct. 31, 2010