How do you. . .

I know everyone celebrate the holidays differently. But I would like to know how you celebrate Halloween/Samhain or what ever it is you call it? We for the most part do traditional rites and set out offering for those past etc. We do pass out candy to trick-or-treaters too and my DD is allowed to dress up for fun. But it is a time for rites and ritual for us.
I am sure this has been asked over and over again. . . but I am not on here that often in the Q and A's and was curious.

Kirs

Asked by Kirs at 1:25 AM on Oct. 27, 2010 in Holidays

• We do all of the commercial stuff, lol. We watch scary movies, go trick-or-treating, stuff like that. We don't do any rituals or anything like that.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 1:33 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I never celebrated Halloween growing up. We are just learning new traditions. Nothing special about it for us. Part of it is I suppose is that we don't believe in an afterlife.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 1:29 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• We are christians and I never celebrated it as a kid. Now that I'm older, I allow my kid to trick or treat in our neighborhood and this year it will be at the mall. Im not into anything scary and we tried the Trunk or Treat activities with the church. My daughter loves playing dress up.
    CCMami

Answer by CCMami at 8:45 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• sorry I hate bad grammar and such. . .lol. . . "I know everyone celebrates the holidays. . ." yikes. . . grammar and spelling police. . .hahaha
    Kirs

Comment by Kirs (original poster) at 1:33 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• as a kid we did a lot of the commercial stuff. . . and that was always fun. . .but we also did a lot lot lot of "parties" and "gatherings" along with rites and ritual too . . . :)
    Kirs

Comment by Kirs (original poster) at 1:36 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• we dont do much for halloween, if anything at all
    san78

Answer by san78 at 7:26 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I do not associate Halloween with religion/witch craft etc. For us it is just a fun day to be a kid, a time to have fun carving Jack-O-Lanterns etc. I never consider whether or not there is an after life, or spells and such. Halloween was really invented by the church in retaliation of those who did not "believe" and started celebrating other events in life. I believe it began as a celebration of the harvest. Back in the time when life and death were at it's thinest, a harvest meant living or dying. This turned into respect for the souls of the dead and so forth...For us, its just a fun night of free candy and nothing more.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:01 PM on Oct. 27, 2010