allergy in breastmilk??

how did you discover your baby had an allergy to breastmilk??

socalikim

Asked by socalikim at 1:31 AM on Oct. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• DS had awful gas, painful and stinky. I figured out that it was dairy. I tried eliminating it, and the problems went away.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:39 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Actually it has been found that it is extremely rare for an infant to be allergic to breast milk speficially. It could be something you are consuming that the baby has an allergy to such as, cow's milk, peanuts, fruits, sweets, or other things. You should speak with your child's pediatrician if you feel like he/she has an allergy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:40 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Exactly what anon said. That was my point, I should have been more clear. 99% of the time, it's a simple dietary issue that can be identified and changed. Try keeping a food log, and monitor Baby's symptoms.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:46 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Your baby is not going to have an allergy to your breastmilk. Some mothers need to change their diets.
    MyGiftsFromGod

Answer by MyGiftsFromGod at 1:51 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I did talk to the ped and she did a test on his stool for milk allergy but it came back negative..so she said what I can do is go on a total bland diet of chicken and rice for 72 hours the slowly add in other foods to see if I notice it helps but that sounds crazy to me
    socalikim

Comment by socalikim (original poster) at 1:53 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• It's very rare for a baby to be "allergic" to breast milk. I put allergic in quotes because there is a name for this, but I can't remember it. If your baby had this, you would know within the first few days of life I believe, and if I am not mistaken, this could lead to death. More likely is that babies are allergic to something in mom's diet, some of the more common ones are milk, soy, wheat...there is a lot of things. I think the just chicken and rice is a bit extreme, you should do some searching on the less allergenic foods, and yes, go on a restricted diet at first, and yes, slowly add things to your diet to see if there is a reaction. This is for something extreme though, what are the symptoms that your baby is having? It is also possible that there is not an allergy, but some other issue.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:26 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I would start with dairy and work from there. Cut it out and see if there is improvement over the next 2-3 weeks (it can take that long to leave your system.). What are his symptoms? You could look at other possible issues like overactive letdown, etc...

You CAN do an elimination diet (turkey, rice, sweet potato and pear), but that IS extreme and I would try a few things before going that far (and 72 hours won't cut it... you need at least a couple weeks to see if there is improvement).

Krysta is talking about PKU, and they test for it at the hospital.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 10:54 AM on Oct. 27, 2010