Potty Training A Five Year Old Girl Advice?

My daughter has just turned five and we have been struggling with potty training... We finally got her to start using the potty a few months ago and she was going regularly so after a while we rewarded her with her big girl scooter. after having had the scooter a month she started having "accidents" at first it wasn't a big deal we just told her "it happens sometimes it's ok" and helped her clean up and change and didn't make to much of it.. but then the accidents became more common and she just gave up trying I think... now she will pee in her pants all the time and when we put a pull up on her at night for bed she pees in it right away.. she poo's regularly in the potty but it seems like she is just being stubborn about peeing. I don't know what to do I am at my wits end with it I have tried EVERYTHING and the doctor told us if she wasn't potty trained by 5 years old then we have a problem... (she turned five last week!)

Bribry

Asked by Bribry at 1:43 AM on Oct. 27, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Talk to your doctor, it is definitely uncommon for a 5 year old to not be potty trained. Keep trying though, and keep up with the reward system. Maybe give her a sticker every time she goes pee in the potty and after so many sticker, let her trade for a treat like an ice cream cone or a trip to her favorite park.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:45 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• yeah we did that but then she was going every five minutes just for the reward... we gave her a scooter.. took her to chuck e cheese.. gave her all the treats we got... i mean I cant imagine going broke just to potty train there has to be a better way.. It is like she is just being stubborn for the sake of it...
    Bribry

Comment by Bribry (original poster) at 1:48 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• honestly momma I don't know what to tell you. Accidents happen and some times it is hard for a growing little girl to tell if she has to go or not. But by age 5 she should already be trained. . . try to keep your chin up and be positive. If it helps take her potty with you and show her consistency . . . it is a long hard road. GL.
    Kirs

Answer by Kirs at 1:49 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• oh I also heard that you should have her sit for 5 min. at a time when having issues with pee. . . I dunno if it will help, but GL
    Kirs

Answer by Kirs at 1:50 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• You might try the 3 day method. I have the e book if u want it. It worked well for us, but DS is 2. It's worth a shot!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:54 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• My sister's 4 year old didn't want to potty train, she said she didn't want to grow up. BIL, sister and their 4 girls go to Disney every year and she won the potty training war by telling neice that Mickey Mouse doesn't allow 4 year old girls to visit if they can't use the potty. She was trained in the next three days. It goes to prove that with the right incentive they will comply. The 2 things a child can controll in their lives are pottying and eating. I hope you can find that one thing that is her key and don't feel bad if you have to trick her a little. Thanks MIckey! LOL
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 1:56 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I know this isn't popular, but after fighting the same battle with our 5 y.o., we just told him that this was it, he had to go in the potty and no more accidents or else there would be consequences. We took away TV and video games as he always seemed to go when he was too involved playing them. We told him big kids don't go in their pants. Worked like a charm. All the positive reinforcement in the world didn't work for this kid.
    LittleD96

Answer by LittleD96 at 6:18 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Maybe she likes the attention she gets from needing to be changed - you could talk to her and let her know that you will still love her just as much if she doesn't need help with her potty stuff. I know it's not the same, but my daughter was like this about learning to read - we had to reassure her a lot that we would still read to her even if she could do it on her own.
    Allaye

Answer by Allaye at 12:07 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• My son did this and I talked with his doctor who assured me that he had not problems. So, I just made him keep his wet pants on a couple times instead of changing him right away. I told him if he wanted to pee his pants then he had to be prepared to wear the wet pants. I only left him in them for about 15 minutes but he hated it and was not comfortable. So, after a few times, he seemed to quit.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 1:33 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• i don't know what to tell ya... both my girls are trained and didn't have issues... sorry!
    asil

Answer by asil at 11:10 PM on Oct. 31, 2010