Hello, I am very nervous and need some stories from anyone who has been in the situation.

I have had the Paraguard IUD for 5 months. I am terrified that I may be pregnant. I looked online I saw how common it really is this scares me more but then I saw a lot of posts about misscariages and other horrible pregnancy stories due to the IUD. Does anyone have any advice about this topic. I do not kno that I am pregnant and need to take a HPT which I will tomorrow most likley but I fear it may be too soon. altough I can not remember my last period. I have been sick and had horrible back aong with some breast pain. I know this could very well all be in my head but I am up tonite becasue I am so worried. Please any advice share it.
Thanks

mommy410111

Asked by mommy410111 at 2:07 AM on Oct. 27, 2010 in Pregnancy

• IUDs are actually more effective than a tubal ligation. They're THE most effective form of birth control, aside from abstinence.
    That said, pregnancies do of course happen. There is a high risk of ectopic (tubal) pregnancy, if you do get pregnant. If that's the case, the pregnancy would need to be terminated or it can be fatal. If you're pregnant and it's not an ectopic pregnancy, your doc/midwife will help you determine if you need to have the IUD removed (sometimes yes, sometimes no). You would also need to decide whether to keep the baby.
    I hope this helps! Good luck on your test tomorrow! =) Hope it's negative!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:12 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Thank you musicpisces it does help. I am just worring myself but I can not help it. Lol thank you again
    mommy410111

Comment by mommy410111 (original poster) at 2:15 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I've been there. I have Mirena (the other IUD), and I've taken two pregnant tests since I got it. It's always good to know, and it's always good to get the facts. The good news is that IUDs are about 99.8% effective in preventing pregnancy, and there's no human error!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:18 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• You could have developed some type of infection. I had one and developed an infection,they had to remove it on emergency at the hospital. Not sure what caused it, but it was very painful.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 2:19 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Yes I know the part that scares me the most is that you haveno clue if it goes out of place. If you are on the pill and you quit taking it regularly you know that lol. But hopefully all is well I think I'm also nervoud about all this pain..
    mommy410111

Comment by mommy410111 (original poster) at 2:24 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Take the test, because as someone else mentioned, if you are pregnant there are high chances of an ectopic pregnancy and you need to find out right away. The odds are very low (like 1 in 10000) but it does happen and if it does you need to see a doctor or midwife right away.

I got pregnant with an IUD in place in Feb 2009. They removed the IUD which gave about a 50% chance of miscarriage, but which was ultimately less dangerous than leaving it in through the pregnancy. I did not miscarry and have a wonderful baby boy who is almost one. I also have my tubes tied ;)
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 11:51 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• i thought i was pregnant with mirena, and my doc had scheduled me for a checkup with it a few weeks after it was placed. i had the same symptoms i had with my first pregnancy,..a rash, feeling nauseated that would come and go quickly......i took two tests and both came out negative...and told my doc about it, and they checked, and nothing came of it....if you're worried, make a doc appointment.
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 9:48 PM on Oct. 27, 2010