Constipation

My 5 year old daughter is very constipated, she has been constipated since she was about a year old, We've tried different things, fruits, juices and different foods, sometimes they help sometimes they don't. My daughters tummy is constantly hurting and she's scared to go poop cause she says it hurts, I talked to her doctor and she said to continue to try the fruits and the juices, water and food high in fiber. Is there anything else I can do? certain foods or drinks I can give her to help her with her bowel movements?

babyangelromero

Asked by babyangelromero at 3:08 AM on Oct. 27, 2010 in Kids' Health

• You can try giving your child Fletcher's Castoria..Its a laxative for children and you can also try Miralax and also Kid's Benefiber....Good Luck and I hope your daughter feels better...=)
    Espinosa

Answer by Espinosa at 5:21 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• We use prunes
    Cassandre

Answer by Cassandre at 1:30 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I would recommend natural methods such as prunes.... I always had a constipation problem, and as a young teen, used to abuse laxatives, which I believe increased my constipation problem as an adult...

Monica655

Answer by Monica655 at 4:29 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Look into Juice Plus. It's 17 different fruits and veggeis in a gummy for children. Kids ages 4-18 can get Juice Plus for free when an adult places an order for the capsules so you and your daughter can both take it for the price of one order.
    www.childrenshealthstudy.com
    www.welovejuiceplus.com
    Contact me for more info.
    wellnessgirl

Answer by wellnessgirl at 6:08 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Has the doctor ruled out a medical cause? If so: no meat or dairy. No white/simple grains. No juices. Build meals around vegetables, whole grains and legume. Hummus and vegetables for snacks.

Send me a message if you need meal ideas and recipes.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:21 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Oatmeal used to do the trick for my daughter. I would also cut back on her dairy intake. Water and juices along with applesauce also helped. Good Luck.
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 11:38 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Aloe. They make it in a liquid form and it works great to regulate them. My daughter is 3 1/2 and I give it to her. Market America sells one that is kiwi strawberry flavored and is yummy.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 7:01 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Does she eat a very low-fat diet? That can cause problems for most people, regardless of the amount of fiber she's eating. A lot of kids really like guacamole, which is rich in healthy fats and some love olives (people are weird, some of them are children!) or salmon... but enough fat will help grease the pathways, and leads to softer stools.

Does she really, really like cheese? It's tremendously binding, and if she's having any difficulty digesting dairy products, cheese will amplify the problem.

Rice tends to be binding as well, so you may like to try removing it, particularly white/refined (including 'converted') rice. And a lot of people find wheat protein slows things down.

If she's eating too much meat, compared to vegetables and whole grains, particularly, that may be a problem. Kids do not need meat of any kind more than once every couple of days, but lots of kids are getting it for 3 meals and 2 snacks every day.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 9:22 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• cut out the milk... both my girls were constipated, we removed milk and they are fine. it's worth a try right?
    asil

Answer by asil at 11:34 PM on Oct. 31, 2010