At what age should u flat iron ur child hair?

My dauhgter has curly hair and is always asking me to flat iron it now she is only 8years old ands he tells me that she hates that her hair being curly. What am i to do? Please can body give me some advice.

monicapowel

Asked by monicapowel at 3:11 AM on Oct. 27, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Flat ironing has really killed my hair so my instinct is to say don't do it. If you do though, invest in some really good heat protection products.
    fireeyes81

Answer by fireeyes81 at 3:15 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I am a hairstylist and my reccomendation is do NOT use heat like that on a childs hair younger then 12. A flat iron is 400 degrees F. If any thing I would tell you to blow dry her hair straight if you must but use a heat protectant. Try braiding her hair before bed and taking them out in the morning to tame the curl. A serum or a light gel will help as well.
    JerzisMommy

Answer by JerzisMommy at 3:15 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• thanks i just wanted make sure that i was doing the right thing cause my daughter thinks im the meanest mommy in the world.
    monicapowel

Comment by monicapowel (original poster) at 3:22 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Flat ironing on curly hair is only gonna lead to more dry damaged hair and probably frizz. Flat irons aren't really for natural curly hair imo. Its more for hair that's already somewhat straight that is desired to be extremely straight.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 3:43 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• ok
    monicapowel

Comment by monicapowel (original poster) at 3:52 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Yeah, I think *not* flat-ironing it is a good call. It's hard to say 'no' but sometimes it's all you can do. Maybe you could get her hair styled differently though? Maybe there's a curly look that she would be more comfortable with.
    Allaye

Answer by Allaye at 2:12 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• i wouldn't at 8... but that's me.
    asil

Answer by asil at 11:08 PM on Oct. 31, 2010